'81 Power Brake Unit Help

Need to replace the power brake unit on my '81 coupe. At first glance it doesn't appear that easy as the mounting bolts are buried on the firewall up
behind the instrument cluster. Could anyone tell me if it's any benefit to remove the intstrument cluster or is my only choice to fight the harness and switch mess up in the dash? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
Gary Golden snipped-for-privacy@cox.net
Gary B. Golden wrote:

I'm speaking from ignorance, not wisdom, but is it possible the mounting bolts go into nuts welded to a plate bonded to the inside of the firewall (or there are studs extending out of the firewall from a plate), so that you don't need to reach up under the dash, just unbolt from the engine side. Doesn't seem logical that Chevy would have designed a power brake setup that required removal of the instrument cluster, but I suppose it's possible.
WayneC wrote:

Remembered I have a Chilton's manual that covers the 81, but interestingly it doesn't ever even mention the PB booster or cover power brakes; it does mention that the non PB master cylinder is held in place on by nuts on firewall studs, so perhaps the booster is held the same way.