81 - rolling chirp noise

Hi All,

In my 81, oftentimes, but not always, when I take off, I hear a chirping kind of sound at low speeds. Kind of sounds like a brake noise, but I ONLY hear it when the gas pedal is depressed, even lightly.

It seems to go away once I get up to 20 mph or so....

Very interesting (but annoying) behavior.

Any ideas?

p.s. I just got the car, I haven't had a chance to put it up on a rack or take off the wheels etc.

Reply to
Steve

Sounds like one of the six pack of universal joints is taking to you. If you're a lucky man it will be one of the two in the drive shaft.

Reply to
Dad

Thanks Dad

How can I pinpoint it to make sure which one?

p.s. removing the driveshaft doesn't look toooooo hard...... and I guess relubing the differential is a good thing to to while I have it off. Any other thoughts/help appriciated

Reply to
Steve

Beside chirping at you it will be loose and most times will show red rust around the seal of the bad bearing.

Reply to
Dad

Got it up on the rack today; the right rear u-joint (nearest the wheel) is going south.

Good call, Dad

Reply to
Steve