81 Seatbelt retractor problem

Hi, I know this is sort of an old topic, but just thought I'd throw it out there......

On my 81, the shoulder belt was stuck (wouldn't retract or otherwise move)

Took off the panel. Saw suspicious looking balled up mess of a steel tape, just above the roller.

Nudged it. KABLOOEY! Spring went flying out and just basically made itself useless.

By the way, this thing looks like a steel tape inside of an orange "can" about the size of a silver dollar or thereabouts, and there is a white plastic cover that goes over it.....

So I am trying to find a replacement for this .... I haven't been able to find it in the catalogs, and haven't been to the junkyard.

Any thoughts? Does anyone know what this gizmo might be correctly called. I am calling it "seatbelt retractor" but not finding it......

Would I be better off replacing the whole seat belt etc?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Steve

You would probably be better off replacing the whole thing. I doubt you will find that part along new and most junkyards I go to won't disassemble something like that on a working one.

Dennis

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Dennis Willson

I don't know if this helps, but Corvette America lists a belt retractor:

(The picture that accompanies the listing isn't what the listing is though, so maybe a phone call would be in order.)

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen ___

'67BB & '72BB

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___

Barking Rats

Thanks, that wasn't it (called them)

Follow on question to the NG - what are the recommendations on replacing it (if I can't find it)

There are a million options, please share your experience on what worked for you and what to watch out for.

Thanks Steve

Reply to
Steve

Something I forgot to mention is that I looked the part up in my GM counter parts catalog from that era. They don't list the retractor as a separate item - one had to buy the entire seat belt assembly to get the retractor.

Since many of these types of parts were shared among other models in the line of GM cars, perhaps you can cannibalize a Monte Carlo or some such from a salvage yard.

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen ___

'67BB & '72BB

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___

Barking Rats

Excellent thought! I'll check it out.

Reply to
Steve