82 Corvette

I am looking at an 82 vette. It has a lot of miles but the present owner claims it runs great. I haven't actually heard it run yet. The body and interior appear to be in fair condition, the paint is faded. He is asking $8500 for it and I was wondering if this sounded like a good deal. Thanks for any info or advice.

Reply to
randy

To repaint, figure $6000. You might get it cheaper, but still $4000 is the minimum for decent paint.

Add that to the cost.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

Seems high but it depends on what you mean by a lot of miles. Paint it a lot more than most people realize, $3k to $5k or more for a good job. I'd keep looking. I don't know where you are but in my area, Western NY, you can definitely fine better for less at this time of year as everyone looks for storage for the winter. Brad

Reply to
Brad

Reply to
Pete

Randy:

A quick check on eBay Motors for "Sold" 1982 'Vettes shows that you're in the ball park left field (way deep) at $8500, but it all depends on what you mean by "A Lot of Miles". Search for eBay item: 4578274149 It went for $8k and only had 26k miles. Item: 4575606472 Price: $8600 with 41,568 miles Item: 4579238390 Price: $8700 with 87k miles.

In the end, if you like the car and can afford it, haggle $500 off the price just to make you feel good and buy the car. She's a 'Vette after all and she deserves respect.

TomC '90ZR1 #792

Reply to
Crabs

That can be about right for starters. You'll need to see how well it runs and sounds and check out the body and paint. I picked an '82 up for $5000 at the end of last year and put about $4000 into repairing the body and a full paint job. It didn't need much in the way of mechanical work. Added a nice stereo and its my primary driver now. My first Corvette.

David

Reply to
David