84 / c4 queston

Is the top on an 84 / c4 suppose to have any weather stripping attached to the bottom front edge ? the reason I ask is that I just had two windshields
installed. The second was the result of some advice that Dad gave me here on this group about the installation procedure. even after the second installation, the top seems to bow just a tiny bit in the middle along the front. this is allowing water/wind to enter the car.
any advice would truly be appreciated. thanks
--
"Key"
=====

'Key wrote:

Key:
Having a hard time trying to figure out where you put the second windshield. :-) On a serious note, both tops on my '90 have weather striping on the leading edge where the top mates to the windshield support. Looks like they would easily seal the top even if the gap/bow in the middle was not much larger than 1/8 inch or so. Perhaps something is not quite right with the removable top securing bolts or the seats they reside in?
Good luck!
TomC '90ZR1 #792

windshield on the newer tops. If the installer followed the same procedure putting the second windshield in it could also be installed wrong. The new sealers, not the 80s rope type, can and will let the class sink in to far without blocking its travel until it sets. On a nice warm day it can sink to where the top seal can't stand high enough to completely contact the outer corners of the top. Then if the top is pulled down to contact the corners it is bowed up in the middle. During the glass installation the installer needs to be able to fit the windshield retainers and seals to the contour of the existing top. When my installer was aware of what had happened he was able to hit the second windshield right on and it sealed like new. I kept the retainers on for a full day before removing them allowing the sealer enough time to set as an extra precaution.

Dad, was Tom talking about two different tops ? my 84 has only one top. Does my single top require a seal attached to the top itself ? it didn't have one when I bought the car. I followed your earlier advice and told them about the extra required sealant. that's the reason they re-done the windshield. they added the required sealant but I still have the air/water leak coming in from the center. the front corners seem to be fitting and sealing ok. (not sure if they let it set completely before putting the top on)
thanks for your continued help with this Dad.
--
"Key"
=====

Can you move your clamping points together on the top and/or apart on the frame, (don't remember them being movable)? If so try putting some soft but rigid material under each outer corner, (maybe about 3/8" X 1" X 2"), and latch it and see if it takes out some of the leakage. .

they are not movable. they also don't latch. top is held on by four screws / two on front edge and two on back of top. when the front corners are bolted down that are bottomed out and seem to fit fine on the corners but the muddle is then bowed up just a little too much. do you think that a thin weather strip added to the middle third of the tops front would help ?
thanks again for sharing your knowledge Dad
--
"Key"
=====

are to low. You are talking about a convertible aren't you, or was that the original post? The screw down corners don't sound right. Let me know and I'll look at one this afternoon. They are having a Sam Hornish day with a parade and a ton of Corvettes that I can check out.
No its not a convertible. its a one piece hard top like the one on this link. http://tinyurl.com/nyomf
--
"Key"
=====

"Dad" < snipped-for-privacy@fisher.net> wrote in message
> Dad,

My car has two tops, one bronze tinted clear glass and one solid fiberglass top painted to match the body.
Mine use the 4 torx head bolts to mount to the roof, two mounted vertically in front underneath the sun visors and two in the back oriented horizontally. I don't know if mine leaks water as it's never been, and probably never will be driven in the rain. I've never noticed any air noise coming from the windshield area, even at Warp 125. Someday, I'll find a LONG stretch of road and I'll let you know if there's wind noise at Warp 180+. 8-)
TomC '90ZR1 #792

yea, my 84 sounds like the same type set up as yours. although I only have one top (solid fiberglass top painted to match the body"
--
"Key"
=====

'Key wrote:

'87, give or take a year. Appearance is much the same but early tops can't be used on later bodies without swapping some body parts.
'84 and '90 are different in minor details.
-- PJ '89 Hookercar '02 e-blu coupe
From what I looked at last night on the C4 and assuming that your top fit correctly before the windshield change, it has to be in the way the new glass and seals were bedded. Sorry, but like I said before after 2 new windshields and 2 new seals it fit as new with no leaks, air or water when mine was replaced. It leaked so bad on the first go around you could have thrown Walt's cat through the crack.
Sam didn't look as good as some of the camp followers did. ;-)
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Well, I had the problem before I replaced the windshield. That's why I tried replacing it. I am wondering if maybe the corners are being pulled down too tightly ? Thinking of trying to put a couple of thin washers on the corners and see if that will drop the bow from the center a little and not be too loose on the corners. I really believe that the windshield was put in correctly the second time. although, I do not know if maybe they put the top on before it was through setting up.
Thanks for all your help Dad
--
"Key"
=====

Thanks for the clarification "PJ" would have responded sooner, but have been out of town..
Do you have any helpful comments on my problem ? g'day
--
"Key"
=====

yea, I am keeping the two windshields a secret :-) my 84 has only one top. it fastens in four places, one on each front corner and two across the back. I really don't see how it could be put on incorrectly. the top of the windshield has weather stripping. I was just thinking that maybe I am missing a weather stripping along the front of the top or if putting some type weather stripping on the top would help fix the problem.
thanks for your response TomC g'day to ya
--
"Key"
=====