84' Cooling Problem (Texas)

Took my 84 down to the local mechanic and he told me 225 with AC on is normal for my vette. I would think if I bought the car brand new in 84' it would not be running anywhere near 225 but would be locked in at 190 like all new cars. I have replaced the stock radiator with a new one and am now looking at the condensor possibly being dirty stopping the air flow. It has a single electric fan but it runs strong and has good flow. Any ideas would be of great help.

Thanks,

Mark

PS I have not replaced the thermastat yet as it looks to be opening fine at about 187.

Reply to
Nick

Mark,

  1. Verify that its actually running at 225 degrees with an IR thermometer. Point it and shoot to get the actual temp.

  1. If its really that high : wash the radiator/condensor surfaces real well.

  2. Seal up all sides of above.

  1. See if your lower radiator hose is collapsing at higher rpms.

  2. Thoroughly clean your cooling system with Prestone H.D. Cleaner. ANd, open all block drains for flushing out.

  1. Run no more than 25% antifreeze in the summer , because water is the best coolant. (add more antifreeze for winter if it gets below 20 f where you are).

  2. If your water pump is the original, id think about a high capacity Stewart Brand pump . Im very impressed with them. Thier website has an Open Forum for overheating problems with a qualified Tech answering questions.

  1. For kicks, you could take out your thermostat , temporarily, to see how it runs .

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

On my 85 it cycles between 228 and 210. The computer is controlling the main fan.

Is it constantly at 225?

If this only happens with a.c. on on my 85 there is a small fan in front of the condenser. Do you have that too? If so it cycles on air cond head pressure and as emergency fan if block temp gets over preset number like

240. This sensor is located between plugs on the passenger side.

Reply to
<oreo123

Reply to
Brad

I like Water Wetter too ; from what i can tell on my car, it does work.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

Check all the things the guys have recommended. I assume you are sure your hoses are good and your system is clean. Make sure your transmission is not overheating. Is your engine oil over 200 also? You could add an oil cooler.

Drain and save ALL your coolant, change to a cooler thermostat, I use a 160, fill with clean water and add one of the super wetters such as Water Wetter. There are others, follow the directions. Don't put coolant mixture back in until temp goes down to freezing outside. Drain and save, no need to throw mixtures out. Bones '87 C4

Reply to
Bones

'Drain and save ALL your coolant, change to a cooler thermostat, I use a

160, fill with clean water and add one of the super wetters such as Water Wetter. There are others, follow the directions. =A0 Don't put coolant mixture back in until temp goes down to freezing outside.'

REPLY: Actually, its not a good idea to run 100 percent water "IF" you have a/c on the car because the water in the heater core could freeze and split being just downstream of the A/C's evaporator coil . Redline Corp. (makers of Water Wetter) recommends running 25% antifreeze with

75% water and water wetter to avoid this problem ; if the car doesnt have A/C then you may run 100% water with water wetter. If the car is operated in a cold climate, in the Fall the system should be returned to adequate levels of antifreeze .
Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa