84 Vette z51 option?

Page 1 of 2
There's a 84 Vette forsale locally. I don't know much about Vettes. From a little web research I think I want to stay away from the z51 option cus of
the rough ride. How can I identify if it has the z51 option?

with 8.5 and 9.5 wide directional aluminum wheels. Those are the easiest to see and the wheels could have been changed. Other changes were heavier sway bars, stiffer shocks, springs, quicker steering ratio, (about 2.5 vs. 3.5 lock to lock), and an engine oil cooler.
Every Corvette I've ordered has had Z51 and I drive them many miles.Why not? A large number of people buying the '84 are looking for the Z51 to run it in autocross. May not be your bag but a selling point.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

what else can you get in that price range. ... I just called and the guy says it has 126K miles, is in nice shape and everything works and is not a z51. Didn't look at it tonight cus I got a bad cold. Its only a 2 or 3 miles away. Maybe tomarow.

I guess your not a fan of 84's judging from your comments. The car is 22 years old, and has possibly had many changes over the years. And can be made as good or better than your beloved 90 fetish. While I don't have an 84, I do have a 78 (save your comments) If an 84 was available, right place right time right money, I may have an 84. Collector cars and NCRS bullshit attitudes belong in museums. IMHO. Cars are made to enjoy and give pleasure to their owners. Tastes change people buy and sell what was their love yesterday (except for BobG) for today's love. If 84 turns the guy on, so be it. Buy it , drive it and enjoy There's a car, or 2, out there for everybody.
kickstart

Corvette.
I'm with you on this one Kickstart, if he likes it and it drive like something he wants, he should try it, he'll like it.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

agree, have an 84 myself and after some wanted changes, I now have 375+ HP and the car is a blast to drive...
my2
--
"Key"
========

I'll have you know that I sold my 68 SS 396 Chevelle last April ...so I do ocassionally sell a car....
Some "dumb" kid offered me more then it was worth... plus with the 15 gallon fuel cell in the back it could only travel 50 miles MAX on a full tank of gas... (it was by no means "stock")
Personally I lOVE the Z51 option.... would not want a Vette without it.. and if I could find a real nice 84 (especially if it had a set of original Tires (more collectable then the car btw) I would have it parked in my garage in a heart beat...
Bob G.

How much are you looking to spend on one with original tires, Z51, two tone paint, 4 plus 3....about 22,000 miles....roughly...
Fwed

all 84's have a rough ride...
--
"Key"
========

The adjustable shock option (FX3?) solves this.
Mike Squires 90 Z51 (FX3) bought new

I learn something every day, didn't think you could get both Z51 and FX3 since the FX3 has different shocks. My '92 had the FX3 as they didn't offer Z51 that year and didn't come back until '96 as far as I know. Personally I didn't think the FX3 brought much to the table so I've had Z51 every since.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

I looked at it today. Red inside and out. Looks like new from 20ft away. To my unqualified eye it looks like everything is original. Leather seats are warn but not torn up. Door panals are also warn. Radio speakers are bad. Has the crossfire FI. Starts and runs great. Idle seems a little fast 900rpm? You get a little lurch when putting it in gear. The ride was about what I would expect for such a car. Windows work, antenna works, electronic dash works, headlights work, easy to drive, great road visibility all directions. Wife likes it. It's gonna be hard to talk myself out of buying it.

sounds about normal for a daily driver.. whatever your decision ? g'luck and enjoy....
sounds like the powers to be has already spoken :-) my2
--
"Key"
========
JOHN D wrote:

the first American production car with the capability of sustaining one lateral g.
--
PJ

There is one dead door speaker but the overall sound is lacking bass. Is that the way these Bose systems sound? I don't expect bass you can hear a block away, but I would hope it would sound as good as a standard Delco radio. Worst looking thing is the door panels. The edges of the carpet and the plastic have separated where they meet and curled up, a little, but it's really visable.
-"one" to reply

one to the places you may want to check out, for suspension upgrades http://www.ecklers.com / Another for interior
kickstart
Bose is junk (old technology), and expensive to properly diagnose & fix. If you are reading a Chiltons, you really need to buy a factory service manual instead.