85 vette

i just purchased an 85 vette that has been somewhat neglected. I am having a problem with the digital dash lights. They go bright and dim and the volt meter fluctuates up and down as well. What can I do to fix this??

Reply to
rewcsw

Well, first I'd do an battery test, (if low charge to full charge or replace ) then an alternator/regulator test, ( might as well replace the drive belt while your in there). make sure all grounds are good from the battery, clean & replace as needed any battery terminals.

Since the 'symtoms' you describe seem to be in the charging system this is the obvious place to start.

Reply to
labtech_one

sounds like a newer corvette is needed!.

if not, then a complete body-off restoration SHOULD get rid of the problem....

:-P

or just do what the other guy reckon's...

p.s. is the new C7 "really" moving to a 42volts setup???

Reply to
hmmmmmm

You can repair the cluster.....it will be between 300 and 500 bucks....

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear

he didn't say the cluster didn't work. if the cluster was bad? chances are it wouldn't light up at all. I had to have mine repaired but it because it wouldn't light up.

Reply to
'Key

My cluster needs to be repaired, but it shows no sign of not working either. It is drawing too much current and every now and then I have a dead battery.

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear

how do you know its your cluster that's causing your problem? might not be your cluster that's drawing too much current.

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

I've had it checked by my mechanic....there is a fuse he pulled for the cluster that indicated no more short....after that, I started poking around the internet about cluster repair and found a site from a lace in bristol ct that has them... They are too bad as far as price, and you can replace them yourself fairly easily (without having to take the dash apart)

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear

You can have them repaired.

Taber Corvette Parts

421 Outer S. State St. Chandler, IN 47610 1-877-349-2838

Current Special on 84-89 Corvette Dash Clusters: rebuild your Corvette Dash Cluster for $245.00. If you have a bad power supply there is a $100.00 fee for replacing the power supply. Most dash clusters do not require a new power supply, however some dash clusters do.

g'day

Reply to
'Key

Yes, as I mentioned they can be repaired.... I don't really drive the car...and I have other priorities at the moment, so its pretty much last on the list... i have the battery cable disconnected and when I use it, i connect it then...The place in bristol ct is right down the road from me... well about half hour away....geez.. i thought i had a link to them, but apparently i never bookmarked it....i did bookmark the link you have though...

Thanks..

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear

Want to get fancy ? AND spend some $$

kickstart

Reply to
Kickstart

Before you spend money on a cluster repair..CHECK ALL THE GROUND WIRES..turn on all the lights and accessories..let the car idle..if the lights brighten up when you race the engine there is a good chance there is a bad ground connection some where..ground connections are always a big problem on plastic cars like the Vette.

The C-4 cluster is of course another GM engineering disaster of biblical proportions..almost as bad as the Chassis shake and the optispark mess. How GM can even continue in the car business is a wonder...just check the Corvette book for C-4 recall info..over 13 pages of recalls with about 25 items per page. ( Do the math )...???

Reply to
Redbull

g'luck to ya..

Reply to
'Key

Try

and maybe DIY.

Reply to
Dad

Ouch....

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear

Just opinion:

Corvette's ratio of cranking load to steady-state load doesn't rate making the move.

My guess is that you'll first see it on a large sedan or truck. Hummer would make the most sense ... infant mortality problems would be less damaging to the Hummer marque than to the 'vette. (Oldsmobile isn't available to support 'beta test' of 42V).

Drivers:

1 - Allison/Daimler-Benz transmission. 2 - e-turbodiesel powerplant. 3 - Some ungodly government decree on gas mileage.

-- PJ

Reply to
PJ

Good to know info.. Thanks