86 corvette convertible

My 86 vette will not start. The service engine and brake light indicators come on and stay on when I am trying to start it. So is it the starter or something else?

Reply to
craig9932

Yup that's exactly what it sounds like to me

kickstart

Reply to
Kickstart

| My 86 vette will not start. The service engine and brake light indicators | come on and stay on when I am trying to start it. So is it the starter or | something else?

Does the starter motor run at all? Does the starter solenoid "click"?

Reply to
John H

I replaced the starter last night and it started three times and then went dead again. There is no clicking sounds or anykind of sounds at all. Battery has 12.6 volts. I have replaced the alternator two weeks ago. Any ideals?

Reply to
craig9932
12.6 means alternator not working right 14.3 would be good in 31K miles i am on my 3rd

chk (hidden) door light switch after interior lights go off

ssome

Reply to
ssome

Actually, not running 12.6 is good (it is 12 volt battery) when running, the ideal voltage is 13.8. If the battery has 12.6 and there's not even a click it's either a bad connection or an interlock problem (which would include an security system lockout). I have seen cases where the battery had internal problems, it would show voltage when just sitting, but any attempt to draw starter current and the voltage would suddenly drop to 1 or 2 volts. Most of the time, you will get some sort of click as the small amount of stored power is consumed. So measure the voltage while trying to start it, also you would see the lights at least dim if that were the case.

One thing to do is get a starter bump switch (maybe borrow one) and see if the starter works on its own. But, don't be under the car when you test it! Measure the voltage reaching the solenoid when you turn the key.

Dennis

ssome wrote:

Reply to
Dennis Willson