'86 hesitation

Maybe someone can help me with this. While highway driving and hitting it to pass/accelerate "sometimes" I get a hesitation and a grinding noise like the gears are not grabbing. I let go of the gas , accelerate again and it clears up. This only happens at speeds over 40-50 MPH. I have an automatic '86 which otherwise changes gears fine. I'd appreciate any help in this regard. Joe

Reply to
joevett

i noticed a hesitation on moderate take off in the 86 as opposed to the 84 smoothness. i also noticed a 'burblying' if you will at moderate speeds when feathering the gas. also, i was getting an intermittent err code 42 and 44. also getting the 2 back plugs fouling. ran the usual chks and found nothing.

then i started putting in a container of injector jet cleaner with Every tank full and the problems have 95+% gone away. still evaluating.

ssome

Reply to
ssome

i'm told that this is not the best xmission. and that they can be upgraded.

ssome

Reply to
ssome

Thanks for the tips. As far as the tranny I changed the fluids about 2 years ago for the hell of it and it ran fine . I would rather not have to upgrade the tranny but "me fears it is in my future" : ) . Joe

Reply to
joevett

I had an '85 that had transmission problems. I changed the fluids and filter once a year, and that kept it running well for a long time.

Reply to
JimH

from a msg above

Reply to