'90 auto won't start

My buddys '90 auto suddenly won't start. The battery tested fine. When you try to start it, there is a clicking noise under the dash, but the starter
doesn't make a sound.
I've considered these options, and he is verifying them tomorrow: o The cutoff switch to make sure it's in "Park" is not broken or out of adjustment o The starter is not jammed and hung on the flywheel o The cables to the starter a re clean and tight
Any more ideas...
TIA Pappy
Add pictures here
✖
Pappy wrote:

Are you sure the clicking is under the dash and not the starter solenoid clicking? Clean the battery connections even if they "look" clean
Can you hear the fuel pump operating when you turn the key? If the fuel pump does not operate and the click is not the solenoid it may be the VATS system. I had a VATS problem took me several hours to prove where the trouble was then $2.50 to fix it
Add pictures here
✖
Gopish Too wrote:

Like 'GT' I'd look at the VATS--I've twice had VATS problems with my '89.
Couple of other subtle things that are easy to check. (1) Ground strap between frame and engine block. (2) Corrosion inside the insulation of the positive cable to the starter solenoid (not visible). Check this with a voltmeter or test light on the solenoid terminal when the ignition key is turned -- if the voltage goes to near zero, you've probably got a bad cable. (Haven't had this problem on my C4 but did have it on a '79 Pontiac.) Also take a close look at the cable between the battery and the positive distribution terminal (where all the fusible links connect.)
--
…PJ
’89 HookerCar, ’02 E-blu 6-spd Coupe

Solenoid? -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
Add pictures here
✖