90 Vette

I just picked up a 90 Vette for my son's first car. Paid $5,500 for what appears to be a cherry ride. Seemed like a deal. Pulled a Carfax and found only two other owners and no issues. Obviously there are lots of little things wrong we are looking for solutions to. We are do-it-yourself kind of people. Any assistance or places to go for parts would be great.

Driver's window appears to have stripped gears in the motor.

Electric door lock does not operate passenger door. Sounds right, no movement of lock.

Oil pressure gauge not functional. Bad sender?

Change Oil light on dash. Where's the reset?

Missing the button cover on the top left button (large one) on the dash controls and computer section of the dashboard.

Thanks,

90Vette
Reply to
90Vette

Congratulations. The '90 is a mature version of the early C4 and very maintainable.

You'll save a bundle of bucks and time with an "Owner's Manual" (glovebox sized document) and a "Service Manual" from: <

> or on eBay.

Another handy book is Haynes for the '84-'96 Corvette. It has good tips on component removal/replacement for the owner/maintainer.

Plenty of support and parts on the web.

--PJ '89 auto-coupe / '02 6spd-coupe

Reply to
pj4380

as far as getting parts or help. google is your friend...

'Key

For the past 5 years, I have gotten my used parts from:

You also need to get a factory service manual (the electrical manual is a separate book, so you need both).

====== you can't really know without opening it up and apply voltage to the motor and see if the voltage is actually getting to the window motor. Like the the headlight motors, there "may" be 3 delron plastic bushings that you need to replace. I never had one apart so I can't say for sure. Determine whether the switches light up when you turn on the parking lights. That's a good determining factor to demonstrate that you are getting voltage to the switches.

====== could be the switch or a defective lock motor. There's probably a lock motor relay in there too. You need to go thru diagnostic and check all connections and make sure that you are seeing voltage at the lock motors when you actuate the lock switch. That should tell you if the switch is defective. Good luck getting the lower screws out of the bottom of the door panel. It could also be that the linkage fell off.

====== check for continuity of the harness to the sender

  1. if you disconnect the sending unit from the harness and the oil pressure gauge goes high (to the right), then replace the sensor. 2. If it does NOT go to the right when you disconnect it, then check for a short to ground in the sensor circuit.

I don't know because I never had to do that.

or
Take your pick... they all ship via UPS.

One other piece of advice. If your Bose stereo craps out. Replace it- it's old-school junk. The sad thing is that you need to re-cable all the speaker wires and determins where to put an amplifier.

Reply to
aaa

to reset the change oil light on a 90 vette do the following:

turn ignition switch on - engine NOT running

press the eng/met button on the trip monitor and then press and release it again within 5 seconds

then within 5 seconds press and hold the range button

the change oil light should flash continue to hold the range button until the light goes out.

If you make a mistake turn of the ignition and start over again.

For what is worth this procedure works on 90 and 91 vettes. 92- 96 substitue the guages button for the range button.

Ron

Reply to
hyflyer

Better Late than never....This is from Mitchell's

1990-91 CHEVROLET CORVETTE Engine Oil Life Monitor
  1. Engine oillife monitor calculates engine oil temperature and RPM. It indicates when the oil is nearly worn out. A CHANGE OIL light on left side ofinstrument cluster is illuminated when it is time to change oil.
  2. To reset oil life monitor, tum ignition on. Depress ENG MET button on trip monitor and release. Within 5 seconds, depress and release ENG MET button again. Within 5 seconds, depress and hold the RANGE button on trip monitor. The CHANGE OIL light should flash.
  3. Hold the RANGE button depressed until the CHANGE OIL light stops flashing and goes out. When the light goes out, the engine oil life monitor is reset. This should take about 10 seconds. If the light does not reset, tum the ignition off and repeat the procedure.
Reply to
Loco