'94 Headlight gear bushings (R&R assembly or just motor)

Anyone done the '94-up Headlight motor bushing upgrade? I was just wondering from someone who has already done it whether you R&R'd the whole assembly or just the motor?

One side has finally given up the ghost, the "gel" in the original must be totally deteriorated. But they have been cycling after turning off for a while. So I will do both sides, with the Delrin bushings. I don't need to go with the gear like 84-87 units. Mine are just slipping from the Gel going bad.

Reply to
RicSeyler

Done several on late C4s and Pontiacs. No motor failures, only gel deterioration--delrin roller fix will do the job. You are correct, the nylon gear is adequate. I bought a metal gear, "just in case" and have never needed it.

I pull the whole headlamp assembly to the workbench (pad to prevent paint scratches) rather than trying to just remove the motor and gearbox from the car. Things to watch: 1) Chip away paint from thrust-screw locknut and gearcase screws and put a drop of penetrating oil on each. Then go have a beer before before you start. 2) Keep track of how many turns you are backing out the thrust screw--and mark it and/or tighten the locknut before you open the gearbox. Backing off the thrust screw allows the motor shaft (worm) to displace slightly when you pry out the nylon gear. 3) If you shear a corroded gearbox cover screw, use a drillpress rather than a hand held drill--the screws are much harder than the gearbox. Should this happen, you can drill out the case and replace the screw with a small stainless machine screw and nut.

Best wishes in Ivan recovery down there.

HTH....... Paul H.

RicSeyler wrote:

Reply to
Paul H.

Still homeless, but hunting for a lot to build on... But can't get back to the island though.... lots with houses that have to be torn down are now going for $650,000 and up, and the builders are gouging everyone to build on the Island, ($300,00 sq ft and up). So I'm looking for a lot in Gulf Breeze, the Peninsula before the Island.

Reply to
RicSeyler

Oops $350.00 sq ft.

Not $350,00.00 LOLOLOL

RicSeyler wrote:

Reply to
RicSeyler

I put the metal gears in my 1993. Pulled the whole assemblies, it's the only way to go. The whole job took 3 hrs. total and I wasn't in a hurry. I am very pleased with the metal gears, I wouldn't put the nylon gears back in if they paid me. Not only was it a mess to clean all the ground nylon out of unit, you need to make sure that you clean the worm gear out real good because that nylon gets clogged down in there as well.

Reply to
Charlie