96 LT1 just died

Yesterday I was driving my 96 to work, as I pulled into the parking lot EVERYTHING died. There was no prior indications, just suddenly nothing. Any ideas? Last year I had to replace the battery because it had an internal short, could this be a repeat of that? Someone at that time mentioned a problem with C-4's eating batteries. Is this a known problem and if so, is there a fix for it?

Rob

78 & 96 Coupes (red of course)
Reply to
Scubabix

My '92 went with its original battery after 5 years and right at 100,000 miles. You may need to talk to a real service tech instead of all the neigh sayers. Seldom has a car told me when it was going to quit especially now that most failures are electrical/electronic.

Reply to
Dad

The CS-130 alternator has a reputation for going bad and this can wipe out the battery. However, by '96, they had been replaced with the heavier version or with a different style, so doubtful that is your problem.

I've had a few batteries that lasted a year and died suddenly, even though they were the 2 and 3 year warranty ones.

First, none of this helps you, so get yourself towed home or to a dealer/garage. If the battery is dead, try charging it and see if all comes back. If so, then test the alternator. If these are both good, then you need someone who can run a full diagnostic on the car.

Like Dad said, you probably won't find the answer here on this one.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

The car is already at the dealership and I'm waiting for some word. The last time, it was worked on by a dealership that has since seemed very shaky. This one seems to be much more capable, I'll see. Thanks for the help.

Rob

Reply to
Scubabix

My 93 died on the Interstate at 70 mph. Weird failure. Belt frayed and the cord cut the daylights out of a harness. Too much stuff in too little an area!!

Reply to
Art Steinmetz

I just got it back from the shop. The battery had an internal short. That's twice in a year. They did a diagnostic check of the charging system and didn't find anything wrong. With the tow, battery and labor, that's $299 for a battery. I sure hope this was a case of a bad battery. I do know if it happens again, I'll get it home and change my own battery. Thanks for the help guys.

Rob

Reply to
Scubabix

And the battery was a "_________"?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Reply to
Dad

I don't remember what the old one was and I'll have to check the new one. They're both whatever Chevy dealerships use. Rob

Reply to
Scubabix

Reply to
Anonymous