AC refrigerant R12a vs R134

Can any of the AC experts discuss R12a refrigerant, which is claimed to be OK for ozone layer (and legal) but superior performing compared to R134.
TIA
R12 is still available and legal, however have you priced it lately, or the "disposal fee" they'll tack on to your bill? Most shops don't even want to deal in R12. They've made it so expensive that its cheaper to convert over to R134a. If a R134a conversion is done correctly (total vac of the system, replace R/D, and install correct valves and orifices), you'll never know the difference.

I have a 92 LT1 and it was converted to R134a before I bought it in 2004. I'd say its pretty cold.....I had it charged 2 years ago.
Problem is my car is all black.....if its out in the sun and you get in....takes a while to cool down.
Plus it has the blue opaque roof.
When we went to Fla I ran the a/c on medium speed (5) and it was fine on I-95.
Private wrote:

My a/c guy (Griffin, San Diego) persuaded me to keep the C4 on R12, with a UV-florescent dye, to spot leaks before they get costly. This and insulating the exhaust forward of the cat. has worked for me. There's plenty of "recycled" R12 in San Diego; however, I'm close to the Mexican border so don't know the "ethnicity" of the stuff.
Here's a comment on R12a (a hydrocarbon): < http://www.aircondition.com/wwwboard/2005Q1/20086.html > I've seen somewhere that the Aussies use R12a.
Also, suggest: Google for <frigc> and <FR-12>. That was the darling of easy, low-cost conversions a couple of years ago. It hasn't caught on where I live.
-- pj

I had mine topped of at a tractor dealership, they still use R12.
For all you that missed the "a" in R-12a, please see link below.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=R-12a&btnG=Google+Search