Amazing Passat W8 vs Corvette ZO6 Video

Page 7 of 7
Sal wrote:

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/Passat/0/30d002e9-8382-4e38-830f-995501749960.htm
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/corvette+MPH/0/dde28801-9a22-48a0-90ca-26a1d7a94dfe.htm
Getting real from the top of the thread:
Having sired kids that drove Beetles, a Golf and a GTI I've been around the VW hype.
Now I see that generation of folk inside their Passats as daily drivers. I don't see VWs cars going really fast--like in open road events.
If these things are so damn fast, why aren't the guys/gals who like to go fast buying them and driving them?
Just for grins, I looked back over the last 5 years of Nevada open-road speed challenges. Lots of finishers each year. Plenty of Corvettes, Porsches & Vipers. Fair representation of Panteras, Lamborghini's and Ferraris -- some BMWs and an occasional Audi or Mercedes. But, for the most part, the products of the much vaunted VW engineering stay home. When they do appear, it's only in the lower speed classes. Perhaps scared off by the presence of GM cars like a Cadillac CTS-V or a 1965 Corvair. <g>
< http://www.sscc.us/results-entry.htm
One lonely VW, a Golf R32, finished in the 2004 and 2005 events. (115 mph and 125 mph respectively.) No VW appearance in 2006.
Where are the rest of those hot VW products? -- home in the garage, avoiding sunburn and the rigors of open road at speeds above 140 mph.
So Sal, when you buy your VW, make a post here -- I'll meet you in Ely. Blue C5 -- briefly view the gold plating around the exhaust tips!
Meanwhile, for the folk over in the vw.watercooled group. Don't be 'fraid--come on out and play. See y'all in Ely--2008!
-- pj
something wonderfully witty:

Northstar SRX, same basic platform stretched out station wagon style. Ain't no vette, but the Vette couldn't carry what this baby does either. 320 hp in a Station Wagon type vehicle ain't that bad., Oh I forget, they're Cross-Over SUV's not Station Wagons. Whatever.
--

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream
The Wolf With the Red Roses wrote: The Wolf With the Red Roses wrote:

Not at all. First year entry -- CTS-V (Brent Wiedner) ran second in class this year behind a Mustang GT500 and ahead of Bill Kirschner's Corvette.
Brent also did well in the 1/2 mile 'shootout.' Only similar car that finished ahead of him was a Mercedes E55. A much pricier piece of iron.
I guess I failed in making the point--VAGs marques (including Bentley) are present on Western Highways in fair numbers. I've not seen W8 or W12 engined cars competing in either the Nevada or Mexican open road events. I do see a large number of LS-1 and LS-2 engined cars in those events--and some of those engines are found in the unlimited class running upward of 180mph with Panteras, Ferraris and Lamborghinis.
Where are VAG owners?
I think the Silver State events are a good place for them to start--probably in the Touring Class. For less than four grand, an affectionado can cover the preparation/entry costs, get sweaty in the cockpit and maybe carry home an award.
I'd hazard though that the CTS-V and AMG drivers sweat less. :-)
-- pj
Have you seen the list of the top 18 Fastest Cars on the needforspeed website all of the were European? There are plenty of VAG cars like the Audi TT Bimoto on there and not even one American car was fast enough to make the top 18. Here are just a few of the Volkswagen Auto Group cars on there that were 200 MPH + Why would VAG cars go to some race where gocarts like Corvettes are racing when they can race with the big boys instead? Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear has driven thousands of the best and fastest cars in the world and he knows that American Cars SUCK, his opinion is very educated as he's actually driven thousands of cars and their limits and compared them all.
1
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 - 409 km/h (402 km/h GPS) High Speed test by Auto Motor Und Sport For the video visit "VIDEOS - CARS & MOTOS"
2
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 - 407 km/h (GPS) High Speed Test by Top Gear For the video visit "VIDEOS - CARS & MOTOS"
3
Bugatti Veyron - 402 km/h High speed test by Car And Driver
10
Audi TT MTM Bimoto - 384 km/h GPS High speed by MTM at Papenburg
11
Audi TT Bimoto MTM - 373 km/h High speed test on the Nardo circuit by Auto Motor Und Sport
13
Audi TT Bimoto MTM - 371 km/h For the video visit "VIDEOS - CARS & MOTO"
26
Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 - 352 km/h (219 mph) Capristo - Holland For the video visit "VIDEOS -CARS & MOTOS"
48
Lamborghini Diablo - 340 km/h For the video visit "VIDEOS -CARS & MOTOS"
59
Lamborghini Diablo SV - 338 km/h Michael Reithofer (Speedfreak) - Germany
63
Bentley Continental GT - 336 km/h Colin www.autobild.de - Germany
64
Lamborghini Gallardo - 335 km/h (208 mph) Giorgio S @ Lamborghini, High speed test on Nardo
65 Bentley Flying Spur - 335 km/h (208 mph) High speed test
66 Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera 335 km/h French magazine, Sport Auto n546 For the video visit "VIDEOS -CARS & MOTOS"
70
Lamborghini Murcielago LP 640 - 333 km/h (207 mph) Jeremy Clarkson @ Top Gear - UK For the video visit "VIDEOS -CARS & MOTOS"
73
VW Golf HGP R32 Biturbo - 333 km/h Nardo Pirelli Test 2004
77
Lamborghini Gallardo - 332 km/h Ivan G
The fastest Corvette on the site was a higly modified Z06 85
Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06 - 330 km/h PAR-H

something wonderfully witty:

parked in your driveway, it ain't shit.

--

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream
Wow, talk about being clueless about streetracing, the Need for Speed Website is NOT a Videogame Site. It's a site where the WORLD's TOP FASTEST STREET drivers post their photos and videos to impress eachother. There are some pros on there too, but mostly it's amateurs. http://www.need4speed.ws/essence0.html
On Jul 15, 4:54 pm, The Wolf With the Red Roses <after-dark-

This is Jeremy Clarkson. He's not some kid. He's basically the world's foremost expert on driving performance production cars at their limits.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Clarkson
On Jul 15, 4:54 pm, The Wolf With the Red Roses <after-dark-

something wonderfully witty:

Getting Married, climbing the Corporate Ladder, and having Babies to concern themselves with racing their Grocery getters.
I've always had a certain attraction to German Iron, but for a whole bunch of reason choose to spend my dollars on American products. Sometimes I think the German Engineers, engineer the soul's out of their products. While the new breed of Corvette's are so much more refined, I think they've lost a little of their soul as well. I'd personally be interested in a V-8 Solstice or Skyy if they kept it stripped down & raw. I really wanted the Z06, to be the Billy Bob version they first talked about.