American Collectors Insurance

Hello, I'm going to get agreed value insurance for my car and am looking at the American Collectors company. Has anyone ever filed a claim with them and how did it go? Any other suggestions along these lines of agreed value policies? Best, Bart

Reply to
87Blue

I don't know about American Collectors, but I have Hagerty Collector Car Insurance and couldn't be happier. I had a claim for damage to the side of our 82. They responded instantly and told me to go to a shop of my choice, which I did. They worked with the shop, and all was taken care of within a couple days ('cept for the work will take longer). Great people to work with. I have heard same from others. Agreed Value premiums appear to be very competitive.

Reply to
Vette One

I have had American Collectors for my "86 and needed to put in a claim. This was in 2003. The basketball net fell on the hood and windshield from heavy winds (no rain) in my driveway. I had to respray the whole front end and replace the windshield. They gave me most of the repair bill----I paid more because I wanted the hood done right and had some air bubbles on the door also to take care of at the time. No problem at all- the check came in a week after a visit from one of their reps. I just had to show the car "is" garaged and was in the driveway at the time due to repair work I was doing. He did check the miliage which is the only time they have bothered. I was actually surprised at how easy it was. I have an agreed value policy with them but they keep changing their company name. Now it's Infinity. Good luck with the car

Joe

Reply to
joevett

I think Bob G on here has American Collector's and has had a claim. Maybe he will speak up.

There is a guy on Corvette Forum that "went deer hunting early" (search for that) with a '66 and took out his front end. He has them but hasn't responded yet as to how the claims service turned out.

I have them, too, and haven't had a claim, and hope I never do, but I would like to know how they fare as they are much cheaper than Haggerty. They seem a bit more restrictive, with the 2500 miles definitely spelled out (Haggerty is vague on that, sometime they claim 2500, sometimes they don't).

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

Reply to
87Blue

That's confusing in that my emailed statement has American Collectors Insurance at the top and the website is

Cherry Hill NJ right?

Reply to
87Blue

Hey Tom, Thanks your info. I researched Hagerty first and as you might have read above, the '87 needs to wait until Jan 1 2008 to become eligible. I found that on my "quote," both Hagerty and American Collectors were pretty close. The 2500 mile policy is standard according to them with about a 20% higher rate if you want to go to 5000 miles. I like that they spell it out and like you said, Hagerty is vague about the mileage and vague is something I don't need when I'm insuring a car.

Reply to
87Blue

I have AMerican Collectors insurance on my 1970 . Their 2500 mile restriction is not a problem with me as i just happen to average 2,000 miles with it per year. It was the cheapest out of all the Companies i looked at.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

Thanks Dave. I don't think that will be a problem for me. I only have 18,700 original miles on it now. I think I took too good of care of this car. I'd like to sell but guys are looking for a better deal on something a little more crappy.

Reply to
87Blue

Bart: Sorry for the LATE reply but I left for the Adirondack Vette weekend on the day you posted your question and did not return home until late yesterday....

BUT YES... I did file a claim with American Collectors....

First the BAD Part:

It took them 3 days to get an adjuster out to look at my car.... They have their own adjusters and the adjusters are NOT local guys (unless your lucky) so you have to wait until they get one out to you...

Now the GOOD PART: The adjusters they use are CAR GUYS....mine happened to be a Mopar NUT... but he understood my concerns even before I opened my mouth and started asking questions... then he explained how they go about paying for the repairs.... Say you ripped open your oil pan...it is NOT a part that wears out... so they cover its replacement 100 percent... Say you ripped off your entire exhaust system...this is a part that does wear out so they cover it in full for the 1st year 90 percent in the second year 80 percent in the 3rd year etc... mine was actually 3 years old BUT I had not driven the car but 1000 miles so they covered it 100 percent...

They do not and will not require, suggest, or badger the shop the use of aftermarket parts to fix the car...and authorize regular NEW GM parts.. when these are not available...the choice is up to ME not them as to which part to use...

Long story short... ABSOLUTELY NO HASSLE or problems in getting my car fixed... either to me or the shop... I'm happy....

And even happier that they have not raised my rates a single penny in the last 4-5 years since I pulled off my STUPID act of a lifetime trick...

They will insure my 5 Corvettes forever as far as I am concerned...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

TOM:

I just posted a reply ....I did NOT have a single problem and I used a Body shop that I CHOISE ...one that was experienced in working on Corvettes and have done a couple dozen cars for Bloomington etc...

The shop guy said they also had NO PROBLEMS with dealing with them as to what kind of parts (new, used, Genuine GM parts etc..

For the Original Poster ...

American Collectors is the BROKER...the actual insurance Company is

AMERICAN BANKERS INS COMPANY OF FLORIDA

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

The AGE of the CAR is open to discussion...Well at least if you also have several other cars YOU CONSIDER ..for lack of a better word TOYS insured with them.

They Insure all 5 of my Corvettes including my 1998 ..BUT then again I HAD 4 Corvettes and a Chevelle insured thru them when I purchased the

95 which they insured from day one ...I then replaced the 95 with the 987 when I purchased it....

They also have insured a friends 2002 since they day he purchased it NEW .. BUT again he had 2 other Corvettes insured with them...

When I droive my 72 on the 99 National Corvette Carivan I knew I would bust the 2500 mile limit...they charged me something like 10 or 20 bucks to raise the milage limit so I could do the trip..and waved the kept in a garage requirement for the trip... Can not honestly remember exactly how much it cost but for something like this they were very easy to deal with...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

Thanks the reply Bob. This is generally what I'm hearing online and locally so I took the plunge yesterday and ordered the insurance. I added the $100 ded collision and $0 comp which took it up about $15. They emailed me a temp card and as far as they're concerned, I'm insured and have the 20 days to sign and send back the signature sheet (which came via email) I was also able to send then my pics via email to speed things up. Good bunch of gals to talk to. Hopefully, this will lead to a long and happy life with a company that I hope to never use. Thanks for your input.

Reply to
87Blue