Another C4/Bose system question

I have a 90 Corvette convertible in which the previous owner replaced the Bose head system with a Pioneer CD/radio. The speakers are all the original Bose with amplifiers. The rear speakers are very week but working. The front speakers will provide much more sound, but the front driver side is noticeably weaker than the passenger side. Is an after market system compatible with the original Bose speakers/ amplifiers, or are the amplifiers blown on the week speakers? Any ideas?

Reply to
SteveC

There is no power amp in the head unit of the Bose. The original wiring from the head unit to the speakers doesn't work for a head unit like the Pioneer that sends an already-amplified signal. If you buy aftermarket, which is what I would do, keep all of the old stuff just in case you ever sell the car to someone who's an originality nut. But I doubt that will ever matter on a '90, so yank the Bose speakers, put in some decent ones with the correct wire and enjoy.

If you want something that will work with your iPod, something like this would fit the dash opening fine:

AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Reply to
CardsFan

I pulled out the Bose head unit as well on my '85. I also ran new wires and replaced all 4 speakers. I sold off the old head unit and rear speaker units amps and all on E-Bay. It more than paid for my new head unit and speakers. I even stated in the auction that the cassette players wasn't working and that the rear speakers sounded bad. Amazing what people will pay when something is for a Corvette. With 110k on the car I can't imaging anyone ever caring if the original Bose unit is there or not and I have no plans to sell anytime soon anyway so I was thrilled to have better sounding tunes and a few extra $ in my pocket to go with it!

Brad

Reply to
Brad