Another prepurchase vette question

I know this isn't usually advised but any opinions on buying an extended warrantee on a new vette? I know from reading on other new cars, its usually ill advised unless you drive a lot. Just wondered if the vette was no different for this? Any idea the general pricing for this warrantee.. is it different than most other new cars or about the same?

The only reason I ask is I know the mechanic rates were greater vs the other chevys in the dealership (at least they were when I was there years ago and as I recall, it was about double then).

Sorry for all the questions but thanks in advance (guess I'm a typical wannabee).

Reply to
No Vette Yet

couldn't tell ya. never bought a new vette.

now, ya don't have to get to humble :-)

Reply to
'Key

I would buy an extended warrenty...maybe in the third year. The C6 has something like 18 different electrical computers on board and something is bound to go haywire. It can't be cheap to diagnose and fix the problem after the original warrenty is up.jmo

Reply to
benf802961

I got an extended warranty on my then-new 1997 C5. Sure paid for itself, and I'd do it again.

Reply to
Keith

The people who are going to sell you this policy aren't doing it from the goodness of their hearts. They do this for a living and they are convinced that all things considered, your repair bills for the life of the policy will be less than what you will pay for the policy. They have plenty of experience with the people who get a warranty so they can drive it hard and not worry about breaking it because the "suckers" that sold them the warranty will pay for it.. They also know that people who take good care of their cars and don't break them tend to pass on the warranty. Given these considerations the people selling the warranty price the policy so they always average a profit.

If you know something they don't, go for it. If you aren't sure then you're just the type of customer they're looking for.

On or about Sat, 02 Dec 2006 18:59:11 -0600, No Vette Yet wrote or did cause to be written:

Reply to
Dale

I'll toss maybe a different slant on this.

Since 2000 we've bought two new Buicks, one GMC truck and an used 'vette.

Most of what goes wrong with the new vehicles is nickle & dime, infant-mortality stuff and usually not related to Powertrain or major body. I don't want to work on either the truck or mama's Buick (can't stand the heat) and don't invest in a shop manual. So, the dealer gets those jobs. Since the 2000 model year, I've had two window snubbers fail (one in the truck, the other in a Buick.) Both failed beyond 36K. Other items that crapped out between 36K and 50K included a cruise control switch in the steering wheel, a twilight control module, a HUD projector, replacement of an OnStar component and recentering of steering to calibrate Stabilitrac (which needed attention shortly after the cruise control switch replacement--GMPP stops call-back arguments, period. Another problem covered under GMPP was a serpentine belt tensioner. The dealer suggested also changing the belt which would require removal of a motor mount. I opted for the belt and paid for it. GMPP picked up the cost of pulling the mount. Without GMPP, I'd have paid for the tensioner and might have considered leaving the old belt in place to avoid paying for R&R of the motor mount.

Once infant-mortality stuff is cleared up, I'm used to getting 30-40K of clear sailing with few repairs. I've had two exhaust issues (one on a Buick and one on the truck. Both were taken care under GM's 7 year,

70,000 emission control warranty -- something you don't pay extra for.

The 'vettes are different. I get the shop manual and 'bend wrenches' for fun. I have no need for an extended warranty and feel, like others who have posted here, that it's a sucker's deal. Don't feel that you are a victim of automobile electronics and computers. Many independent shops can scan the ECM for diagnostics at 1/2 what the dealer would want for a diagnostic run. (Issues handled by the Body Control Module may be best taken to the dealer.) Yes, per mile, 'vettes throw more codes than do Buicks or trucks but the problems, most probably, aren't beyond your management or, maybe repair. Generally, I think you'll find more reliability in a 'vette's electronics and air conditioning than in something from Europe.

Reply to
PJ