Ash Tray Conversion - Any Ideas?

IMHO - the ash tray is a waste of valuable space. If I could have a cubby hole instead, I could store glasses, garage opener, etc. Anyone have an idea as to how I can make the ash tray into a storage place?
(I have a 99 C5 hardtop)

Anything is possible. How much work are you willing to put into a project like that?
I'm nearing the end of a restoration project and made some modifications to that area of the console. Removing the tray is easy. Working underneath may require a lot more work than you're willing to undertake.
David