Auto trans Check fluid on C-5

Well I hate to sound dumb, butt ............ I looked in the owners manual and it says take it to the dealer. Does anyone know or have a page from a manual that shows how to check and add auto trans fluid on a C-5 ?? Thanks

danny

Reply to
kickstart

On the drivers side of the transmission there is a plug clearly labeled FILL on the casting beside it, fluid is to be level with the bottom of that hole. Be aware that some of those plugs had a temperature wire connection to it depending on what options your C5 has. Male hex if there is a wire, female if not. Toque to 20 FT/LB.

Drain plug is further back and lower but is also clearly marked DRAIN.

While you're under there check the spring plate bolts, I think they are 15 M/M, some have come loose on the C5.

Reply to
Dad

Well speaking of a dumb butt, I just noticed that you wanted information for the automatic.

Some still applies except the transmission has to be hot and run through the gears before you remove the drain plug on the side of the pan with the engine running. Drain plug means there can be hot fluid exit when you remove the plug. CAREFUL! Fluid should be level with the bottom of the plug hole.

Why they call it a drain plug I have no idea because the next paragraph it says "To drain the transmission remove the pan."

Sorry for the confusion on my part, good luck.

Reply to
Dad