Bang for the Buck?

Fastest lap times for cars tested by Top Gear:
http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonbbc2/laptimes/thestig / Price MPG
=================================================================1 Koenigsegg CCX (with TG spoiler) 1.17.6 $722,534 + 8/11 2 Pagani Zonda F 1.18.4 $741,000 NA 3 Maserati MC12 1.18.9 $425,000 NA 4 Ferrari Enzo 1.19.0 $1,000,000 8/12 5 Ariel Atom 1.19.5 $45,000 ? NA 6 Porsche Carrera GT 1.19.8 $484,000 9/15 7 Koenigsegg CCX 1.20.4 $722,534 8/11 8 Ascari KZ1 1.20.7 $400,000 NA 9 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 1.20.9 $450,000 13/18 10 Ford GT 1.21.9 $150,000 12/19 11 Porsche GT3 RS 1.22.3 $176,690 NA 12 Ferrari 360 CS 1.22.3 $266,000 10/16 13 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 1.22.4 $77,000 16/26 14 Lamborghini Murcielago 1.23.7 $288,000 9/13 15 Pagani Zonda 1.23.8 $350,000 NA 16 Noble M15 1.23.9 $150,000 NA 17 Koenigsegg 1.23.9 $650,000 8/11 18 Prodrive P2 1.24.3 Concept NA 19 TVR Sagaris 1.24.6 $118,000 NA 20 TVR Tuscan 1.24.8 $92,000 NA 21 Mitsubishi Evo FQ 400 1.24.8 $94,000 NA 22 Noble 1.25.0 ?? 23 Lotus Exige S 1.25.1 $115,000 23/39 24 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder 1.25.7 $175,000 11/17 25 Lamborghini Gallardo 1.25.8 $195,000 11/17
The data speaks for itself. Of course, you have to toss out the Ariel. It's hardly street legal.
If you don't trust a stupid TV show, the top lap times at Nürburgring tell pretty much the same story.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordschleife_fastest_lap_times
Add pictures here
✖

✖

That's because they've never tested cars like the HPA GOLF R32 which could get a time of around 1:18 flat for $54,000, the EIP Stage 4 Golf R32 which would do it in about 1:16 and change for $? http://videos.streetfire.net/video/c7f1b293-b713-46bb-9048-9854009823d1.htm and the Nissan GTR which would get a time of about 1:10 flat for $70,000. That also seems like a VERY OLD list as the Evo 9 FQ400 DESTORYED both the C6 Corvette ZO6. They only have stats for the EVO8 FQ400, on there not the EVO 9.
Jeremy Clarkson actually drove the Evo 9 FQ400 against a professional racer driving a Lamborghini Murcielago and Jeremy won.
The Nissan GTR is WITHOUT EQUAL in the bang for the buck category, it has 2 million dollar car performance on the track for 70k.
Add pictures here
✖

Also, on a big OVAL track, a standing mile or a run in Bonniville, the Bugatti Veyron, Mclaren F1, and Koenigsegg CCX, would DESTROY the other cars by a VERY LARGE margin.
Add pictures here
✖
I did see the Pashitt
--
Z˙RiX
(¯`'..(<>..<>)..'´¯)

Add pictures here
✖
Sal wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Or should I say I did not see the Pashatt...

Add pictures here
✖

life.
Add pictures here
✖
I don't know why I'm getting sucked into this. I don't see anything on that website about the track these were done on. I've been on tracks were 600 hp corvettes were slower lap times than 400 cc formula cars. Obviously, the Corvettes had MUCH higher speeds, but lap times were slower. Likewise, I have been on tracks were the opposite was true on lap times, where the 600 hp corvette shattered the 400 cc formula car to the point it looked like the formula car was a pace lap by comparison.
I'm reminded of a test day at the old Mid America Raceway track at Wentzville.A guy and his kid had a go-kart out there testing while several other cars were out there. The go kart was putting down lap times that was shattering most of the cars and beating nearly all. When we asked him about how he drove the track and where his braking points were, he simply asked "Brake?" The track was so wide and open for him he never braked anywhere on the course, while everyone else had to on at least four different corners and most on about 6 corners.
Without track information, these times are worthless.
I also doubt that lap times mean little to most who are buying many of these cars, except as bragging rights. I seriously doubt that many are capable of driving them to these times, whatever these times may represent.

Add pictures here
✖
Well, Lordy, Lordy...didn't expect to see Tom here.
Since last week I'm only seeing 'our' side of these threads. Activated the 'Sal' filter several dozen posts ago. Thought this was a dead-end thread until I saw you here.
Good news that the cross-posting has stopped.
Great post! Great comment on bragging rights. Answer -- you got sucked in because you recognized he was screwed up and you wanted to help. You forgot that helping a troll is like helping the tar baby.
To your sage notes on track, I'd add the effect that the event and purse has on the degree of preparation -- or, where a team may have run the prior week. And, people do pick their event. No one has unlimited resources.
Or, sometimes a component that looked great in timed trials or quals doesn't work out well in the event. Then there's human error--mechs screw up and drivers blow it too. Then there is the matter of tires, weather and density altitude. When 'sal' works with anecdotal data he intentionally ignores these factors.
Those who watched the carnage at the GP (f1) last weekend got a visual lesson in minor (and major) things that can go wrong even when reputations on the line. (Hamilton's collision with the barrier during quals had me in stunned awe!)
Outside of our troll doing stupid stuff with car and engine data because he doesn't know s### about the difference between Cd and aero drag he probably means well.
Just lacks sufficient education to discern right from wrong or understand that it's more than machinery. One of these days 'Sal' may experience the joy of driving.
I think it's much like sex or golf -- OK for some as a spectator sport but *continuing* personal experience is usually the best teacher.
That said though, I have definite tastes in cars and sex. Golf is just plain challenging. Maybe I've got a lot to learn about all three. (definitely golf!)
-- pj
Tom in Missouri wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

Besides the fact he's cherry-picking data (and anyone who brags about stuff they find on the web is an idiot) and also obviously making things up, it is plain, as you say, that "Sal" has no experience driving high performance cars. I'm sure the little twit would s*** his drawers LONG before he ever got a car up to 200, on a closed course or anywhere else. Tom is exactly right that VERY few drivers have the skill to make a performance car go as fast as it is capable of going. You have to be willing to drive on the razor's edge.
So much in racing depends on track conditions. It's obvious at Indy qualifications, which I attend most years. There are sweet spots in the day when the track is a few mph faster than it was an hour before or an hour later.
I don't know what GM or Chevrolet or a Corvette ever did to "Sal" to make him froth at the mouth so, but I don't care. As with you, he's in my garbage file and the sooner the little troll leaves, the better. That'll happen as soon as people quit feeding him.
Golf is a very difficult game for sure.
AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Add pictures here
✖

Even the Caterham CSR 260 did the top gear track in 117.6 and you're excluding a lot of other cars that also had faster lap times than the corvette on your list. The Caterham CSR 260 also costs a lot less than the ZO6 as do a lot of other faster cars.
Add pictures here
✖
http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonbbc2/laptimes/thestig /
Add pictures here
✖

Oh please, the Stig is not the only person to drive on that course. There are plenty of faster cars than the corvette that are much cheaper. Here's some more PROOF that many cars are excluded from your list. http://videos.streetfire.net/video/21cfe20a-378f-4465-98b8-984c010baaaf.htm
Besides cars such as the Caterham CSR 260 and Ariel Atom there are many other(probably over a dozen) cheaper faster cars than the Corvette ZO6 that have never run the Top Gear Track like the Nissan GTR, Mitsubisih Evo 9 FQ400(only the EVO8 has been tested), EIP Golf R32 Stage 4, and the HPA Golf R32 just to name a few.
Add pictures here
✖
Ok, enough. Get back to your homework. <plonk>
Add pictures here
✖