Bloomington Gold - Who Went?

Who went to Bloomington?

I did and it was hot! I also got to see a few people I knew, but only a few.

I haven't been to St. Charles, going to Nashville for the 50th in 2003 and having conflicts in 2004, so this was my first chance to see what they did to recover from the downhill run and the problems that were happening. My first impression as I walked in was, wow, they have grown, look how packed it is! But then I realized that there was just the one parking lot of swap area, a lot of car dealership displays (what's that all about, anyway?), and the club areas were half a mile at least away from everything. Heck, the club areas were further away from the action than where I parked in the public parking area across the street. If I had paid for club parking, I'd really feel screwed.

Of course, as many suggest going back to the old fairgrounds in Bloomington to recapture the essence, it is impossible since Lowe's is sitting on top of it now.

The Special Collection was nice, but that is about all I can say. Several of the cars I have seen before, several times. I think they need to begin a new polling of special cars. Now the '57 NASCAR speed trials car with the rusted metalflake paint was neat to see, but I've seen the Penske Grand Sport about a dozen times.

The very first Corvette was special, although I have seen it at Nashville. Still, it is worth seeing just so people can see the very first one.

So what did anyone else think?

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

Sounds like you'll be doing like a lot of us have been doing since it went to Pheasant Run, that is saving yourself a trip there next year.

Since Mecum bought it, the only thing it is, is a car auction with a couple of vendors outside. You could see the downhill descent start when Mecum bought it and it was still at Bloomington. There was one of the final Bloomington years where there was a big lack of the big vendors. That is when you could see the descent start.

Anybody want to start a pool, how many more years will Chevy Fest at McCormickPlace last?

Reply to
Virgil Hilts

Reply to
X--Eliminator

Looks like it. I was kind of bummed when I realized there were a lot of people sitting around in lawn chairs at the motel because, well, that was the excitement. Thirty years ago, I can remember the parties at most motels, the street racing, the burnout contests, and the long lines of cruising Corvettes.

Now they make you pay to get in the "world's longest Corvette parade" and some actually do pay. Heck, that was a free activity once.

Used to the week before Bloomington, the mail groups were loaded with people making arrangements to meet everyone there, like in front of the Special Collection or at some restaurant afterwards or whatever, so that we could meet face to face. I found none of that in several places I'm in.

Back in 2001, a friend went and declared it terminal because he walked in the first day of the show and got two spaces 100 feet from the main building. He shouldn't have been able to get a space at all, let alone two, and definitely not that close to the center. Worse, he screwed up getting them since there were five other open spaces and only two sold. He should have bought one and simply used the others.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

I didnt go this year, but, i went last year. I was unimpressed with it. I think its hyped way too much for what it is. I dont think you can beat Mid Americas FUNFEST for an extended weekend in Sept. each year ; that is Corvette Heaven : Over 10,000 corvettes show up from all over the continent for the worlds biggest car show, corvette seminars, GM dignitarys , live entertainment (Beach Boys this year) , an elaborate Corvette Museum on the grounds, Dyno Pulls, Vendors, free food, a Corvette give-away, raffles, et al.... One year he even rented the County Carnival for participants . I understand that they will soon have a 1/4 mile drag strip on the grounds too.

Reply to
dave

Watz da matter? Not enuf young boys to impress with your "Hot Wheels" dave?

Reply to
dave is a friggin idiot