C-4 security light ?

my 84 / c4's security light stays on all the time. car starts and runs fine though. can someone tell the what type security this car is suppose to have?
I can't seem to find that it has a security system at all.
thanks in advance for any info
--
"Key"

Keyman, check the hatch and door switches. if you need me to send you a wiring diagram i will. Greg

ok Greg I will try and check them when I get it out of the shop. I really don't know enough to deal with a wiring diagram.
do you know if this car has a security system? most security lights I have seen have to do with a security system. just don't want that sucker to shut down on me one day at an inappropriate time...
thanks
--
"Key"

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:02:48 GMT, "'Key" < snipped-for-privacy@Ya.Net>
Yes it has a security system. Usually it takes turning the key in the drivers side lock to disengage it. And it can leave you stranded if you don't watch out. I had an 84 before my 93.
--
Charlie
!993 Corvette Convertible

"Charlie" < snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
I got stranded once, it took me taking the cable off the battery and then re-installing them to reset it. My problem ended up being the key itself.
--
Charlie
!993 Corvette Convertible

It was real worn, I had to get one cut by the code.
--
Charlie
!993 Corvette Convertible

I see but I fail to understand why that would make the security light come on. am I missing something here.
thanks for your reply Charlie
--
"Key"

> ""Key" < snipped-for-privacy@Ya.Net> wrote in message \
They said it wasn't hitting all contacts.
--
Charlie
!993 Corvette Convertible

The key ignition itself is all mechanical and just operates another mechanism. There are no contacts to be made within that particular key ignition. Sounds like your problem was beyond the key ignition. It is possable that the key ignition itself may have malfunctioned and it was not letting the plug travel to all nessessary positions. A bad key wouldn't cause that to happen. anyway, Thanks for all your help Charlie
--
"Key"

i do not think that it has a full vats system, (does the ignition key have a resistor pellet in it?) but it does have a factory installed anti theft systems. i printed up the first page of the wiring diagram for it and it does have a starter interlock and what they are calling a theft deterrent module. check the fuse for this. if it is not a vats and you system is getting power and ground your problem is PROBABLY is the module if all of the switches are in working order. it looks like it also goes to the clutch switch also. let me know if you need more info. Greg

The VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System) uses a resistor in the base of the key to complete a circuit. Wrong resistor value - no start. Turn off the ignition, wait for a minimum of five minutes without turning on ignition and then see if the VATS reset itself. Common problems - it's raining and you get water on the key as you're unlocking the door. The resistance is wrong and it sets the VATS. After years of use, the contacts wear enough that the contacts on the key are intermittent to the contacts within the lock. It sets the VATS. It's a pain in the tookis. A new key costs anywhere from $22 - $30. I think it may have something to do with whether the guy making the key thinks you need it REALLY bad and REALLY soon.
Charlie
I get mine from the locksmith, my last one cost $12.
-- Charlie !993 Corvette Convertible
my 84 / c4's security light stays on all the time.<BR>&gt; car starts and runs fine though.<BR>&gt; can someone tell the what type security this car is suppose<BR>&gt; to have?<BR>&gt; I can't seem to find that it has a security system at all.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; thanks in advance for any info<BR>&gt; -- <BR>&gt; "Key"<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>The VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System) uses a resistor in the base of the key<BR>to complete a circuit.&nbsp; Wrong resistor value - no start.&nbsp; Turn off the<BR>ignition, wait for a minimum of five minutes without turning on ignition and<BR>then see if the VATS reset itself.&nbsp; Common problems - it's raining and you<BR>get water on the key as you're unlocking the door.&nbsp; The resistance is wrong<BR>and it sets the VATS.&nbsp; After years of use, the contacts wear enough that the<BR>contacts on the key are intermittent to the contacts within the lock.&nbsp; It<BR>sets the VATS.&nbsp; It's a pain in the tookis.&nbsp; A new key costs anywhere from<BR>$22 - $30.&nbsp; I think it may have something to do with whether the guy making<BR>the key thinks you need it REALLY bad and REALLY soon.<BR><BR>Charlie<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

Charlie
!993 Corvette Convertible
message

the 84 has no vats system. also, when the resister pellet in the vats key gets warn. the risisters value changes. when the value changes too much, the risister value does not match the car and the the emissions are shut down..

nah, vats keys very in price between different suppliers. that could very well be why there is a difference in price.
--
"Key"