C-4 security light ?

my 84 / c4's security light stays on all the time. car starts and runs fine though. can someone tell the what type security this car is suppose to have? I can't seem to find that it has a security system at all.

thanks in advance for any info

Reply to
'Key

Greg

ok Greg I will try and check them when I get it out of the shop. I really don't know enough to deal with a wiring diagram.

do you know if this car has a security system? most security lights I have seen have to do with a security system. just don't want that sucker to shut down on me one day at an inappropriate time...

thanks

Reply to
"Key

Yes it has a security system. Usually it takes turning the key in the drivers side lock to disengage it. And it can leave you stranded if you don't watch out. I had an 84 before my 93.

Reply to
Charlie

Reply to
Greg

Thanks for the info Charlie. Could you please tell me what I need NOT do? So I may guard against getting stranded. What do I need to do if it happens? Will the key in the door deactivate the system that has just stranded me? Sorry, for so many questions but I really need to know. I have no manual explain this.

Thanks

Reply to
"Key

No vatts in early c-4's. It probably has a factory installed anti theft system. This happened when I first got the car. Had to have it towed to the shop because all I knew was that it wouldn't start. I tried the key in the door but still nothing. My mechanis did something? I think he mentioned something about a "starter interlock" I don't believe he replaced anything. The car starts fine now but that "security light" stays on. Wouldn't think that the module is not bad because it works fine now except for that darn light :-) I --- don't --- know :-) I will take your advice and check the fuse and the switches.

-- "Key"

Reply to
"Key

I got stranded once, it took me taking the cable off the battery and then re-installing them to reset it. My problem ended up being the key itself.

Reply to
Charlie

ok, thanks that answers my question.

Was that on an 84? The key and the key ignition is nothing special. How would that make a difference? I am a retired owner of a 23+ year Locksmith business, This makes me question how.

-- "Key"

Reply to
"Key

It was real worn, I had to get one cut by the code.

Reply to
Charlie

I see but I fail to understand why that would make the security light come on. am I missing something here.

thanks for your reply Charlie

Reply to
"Key

They said it wasn't hitting all contacts.

Reply to
Charlie

The VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System) uses a resistor in the base of the key to complete a circuit. Wrong resistor value - no start. Turn off the ignition, wait for a minimum of five minutes without turning on ignition and then see if the VATS reset itself. Common problems - it's raining and you get water on the key as you're unlocking the door. The resistance is wrong and it sets the VATS. After years of use, the contacts wear enough that the contacts on the key are intermittent to the contacts within the lock. It sets the VATS. It's a pain in the tookis. A new key costs anywhere from $22 - $30. I think it may have something to do with whether the guy making the key thinks you need it REALLY bad and REALLY soon.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Funk

I get mine from the locksmith, my last one cost $12.

Reply to
Charlie

The key ignition itself is all mechanical and just operates another mechanism. There are no contacts to be made within that particular key ignition. Sounds like your problem was beyond the key ignition. It is possable that the key ignition itself may have malfunctioned and it was not letting the plug travel to all nessessary positions. A bad key wouldn't cause that to happen. anyway, Thanks for all your help Charlie

Reply to
"Key

"Charlie Funk" wrote in message news:db9ch6$dhc$ snipped-for-privacy@news.valueweb.com...

the 84 has no vats system. also, when the resister pellet in the vats key gets warn. the risisters value changes. when the value changes too much, the risister value does not match the car and the the emissions are shut down..

nah, vats keys very in price between different suppliers. that could very well be why there is a difference in price.

Reply to
"Key

Reply to
"Key