C-5 wheel problem

Well, got a solution to my wheel problem.
I had a used 99 C-5. The rpevious owner had an aftermarket chrome job done on OEM wheels. As I have a crack in the RR, I went to the dealer to try to
get a replacement. The dealer wanted $639, just for an aluminum one - allegedly GM don't do my wheel in chrome.
Went to Discount Tire & got a chromed OEM wheel for $360. One year warranty on their chrome job. WE'll see how well it holds up. But even if the chrome goes - I got an OEM wheel for barely over half the dealer price :-)

No "allegedly" about it, GM does not chrome wheels for the C5, any year. In fact they don't even chrome the C6 wheel and one of their build restrictions is the supplier not keeping up with the one they do offer. Their C6 wheel supplier, not the plater, filed for bankruptcy within the last few weeks.

Actually what you got was a used OEM, (maybe), wheel plated by God only knows who. An entire set of 4 is going for $595 at some of the higher priced Corvette suppliers. With the old wheel as trade in it should have been closer to $180, or a new reproduction for the same pain, or about half what you did pay. Good chrome should have a 3 year warranty.
Keep an eye on that thing and only wash it with a brush, never with a cloth by hand. When that chrome comes loose on a wheel it's like a fine razor blade and can cut your water softened fingers to the bone right through the tendons. :-(
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
Dad wrote: