C3 Dashpad Removal

I've just managed to remove the dashpad from my 1969 Vette. I noticed one thing on the old dashpad: There are only two screws holding the reinforcement piece, but there are four holes in the dashpad and the
reinforcement piece. Should the reinforcement piece have all four screws?
I ask this because the piece may not need the screws, and there may be a reason not to have all four threws. Does anybody know?
Thanks, Charles