c3 running warm?

Hey guys, I have a question about my 79 running warm. It gets up to about 230 at interstate speeds after bout 10 minutes or so. When I drop back to
side roads or under say 50mph, the temp comes back down. Now im smart enuff to know that higher rpm + more heat, and vice versa. Ive already replaced radiator, water pump and thermostat(185) . The exhaust smells fuely, like it may be running a little rich, or possibly retarded causing the engine to run warm??? Is this a normal temp range and is there something Im overlooking?. Btw it does not have the lower front spoiler and im wondering if that has something to do with it. Any thoughts? Larry in Va Beach
Is this a normal temp range and is there something Im overlooking?.

===========================================That little 1 1/2 or 3 inch piece THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE will drop the temp at least 15 degrees......
Been there done that.... the foam insulation around the radiator / hood is also darn important....
Bob G

enuff
it
run
overlooking?.
Because of the slanted mounting of the radiator, it's hard to get air to go through it. The front dam or scoop is mandatory. The foam around the radiator is mandatory. A good fan that pulling a lot of air is mandatory. My '77 runs at about 210 -215. It's a little nerve-wracking, but that's where it's normal. Fact is, the C3 seems to run pretty hot. There is an additive you can put in the radiator that helps it run cooler, too, but I can't think of the name of it right now. Maybe someone else can.
yeah, i found the additive..it does help some. Im looking around at corvette america online and found the air dam for 39 dollars but i cant find the foam for the shroud. Im also looking at the indy super one piece spoiler..anyone had any experiences installing similar?.. This is my first vette and a culmination of 26 years of "wanting" lol. Im not gonna skimp on keeping it running well

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 00:30:07 GMT, "Larry & Michele"

==================>>>>>>>>>>>>
Larry OR Michele....
All the major vendors will have the air dam.... The radiator stuff is available I know from Dr Rebuild... Total cost for everything should be under 50 bucks...(???) or at least close...
My 79 came from the factory with the indy spoiler ...3 pieces...NOT one...
Over the years I have hit enough curbs that I have experience with 1 piece 2 piece and 3 piece indy spoilers...believe me 3 piece is the way to go....2 piece is ok...forget about the 1 piece spoiler...
Reasons above are all for ease of installation...
I am a lifetime member of the C3 registry...(C3vr.com) and although standard membership now will cost you 10 bucks you will get that back in good advice in no time flat...I suggest you whip out your visa card and start asking questions on all their forums....
Bob Griffiths 64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes...

I have a full body kit on my '77. The front spoiler is one piece, but I stay away from curbs. It is large and scoops a lot of air. The difference between it and the regular spoiler is night and day. Fifteen degrees, easy.
Bob G. thanks for the info on the C3 club. I'm going to check it out, too.
hey isn't that called water wetter or something like that ?

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp
yup that is it.. water wetter redline products
dave
--
=== you must first take out MYUGLYSISTER to email me privately ===
face=Arial size=2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; hey isn't that called water wetter or something like that ?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; There is an<BR>&gt; &gt; additive you can put in the radiator that helps it run cooler, too, but I<BR>&gt; &gt; can't think of the name of it right now.&nbsp; Maybe someone else can.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; </FONT></BODY></HTML>
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp
yup that is it.. water wetter redline products
dave
--

Corvette Central, too.

=== you must first take out MYUGLYSISTER to email me privately ===
I had the same problem on my 78 vette. Ran a little hot when I was at cruising speeds. I put a new clutch on the fan. (I could see fluid leaking from the fan clutch.) Solved my problem. I don't think air flows through the radiator at road speeds on my model without help from the fan. The air is drawn in from below and in front of the radiator.
Pete

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------080300060505020106000506 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
There is also something called Below Zero or a name similar.
Dave wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

Hi Larry,
My 77 had the very same symptoms when I bought it 14yrs ago. In fact I replace the same things you did. First the thermostat, water pump then the radiator. Still overheating. Only one thing left that I didn't change, the fans clutch. It figures with my luck the very last thing left to change in the cooling system was the one causing the overheat problems.
Hope this helps, Good Luck Tom
73 LS-4 454 Stingray 77 L-48