C4 Interior Courtesy Light problem

Hi, I have a 1987 corvette ragtop. Recently the interior courtsey lights do not shut off. I have checked the door open switches and it is not them. Using the manual on capability part of the headlight switch, I can turn it to interior lights on, and they get a little brighter, but never can never be turned off. I am guessing the problem is with a bad Courtesy Light Delay Timer. Does anyone have a different thought on what could be causing this problem?

If it is the delay timer, the service manual shows it is tiewrapped to a cable harness behind the I/P. Does anyone know how to get at it and how to replace the timer? Thanks

Reply to
Jay

The lights in the door panels are also switches. Push them. Of course, if you don't know which side is on then there's some trial and error to figure it out, complicated even more by the delay timer. Quite annoying. It caused a few dead batteries on my '87.

Forgive me if you knew that already.

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Had similar problem. All lights in the car glowing dimly all the time and dragging down the battery. Went for the delay timer. My book says it's "taped" to the harness--looks like your book is more accurate. Mine was on the passenger side of the car and held to the harness by a wide nylon wire tie. Cut the tie that holds the timer to the harness and unplug the short cable (half a dozen wires) going to the timer.

Timer wasn't the problem. Issue was a grounded wire next to the spare tire light. Some C4s have isolation diodes so this won't happen, either mine didn't or the diode was shorted. The spare tire lamp wiring is easier to check than pulling out the delay relay. You might want to check that first.

-- PJ '89 Hookercar '02 e-blu 6-spd coupe

Reply to
PJ