C4 needs shocks - recommendations??

Hello all,
My 87 coupe just turned 70K miles and needs new shocks. It has the Z52 (not Z51) package. It has what I believe are the original Delco-Bilstein shocks.
Fuguring that there are others who've put new shocks on their C4 this season, I thought I'd troll to see what recommendations are out there. What are the good choices and which to stay away from? Any other considerations??
Thanks in advance for your time and help.
Ed B.
It has what I believe are the original Delco-Bilstein shocks. But they are expensive -
Try Pep Boys or other auto parts house. Bilsteins are good, but I bought Gabriels at Pep Boys for $100, all four corners, guaranteed for life. I replace them every 30,000 miles or 3 years, whichever comes first, whether they need it or not. The ride quality is same as I remember from when the Bilsteins were in good shape. I have about 99K on my toy now, on my 3rd set of shocks.
Charlie

i put a set of napa branded shocks on my 87, they are private labeled monroes and seem to work just fine and they were less than $100 On Mon, 9 May 2005 10:09:38 -0500, "Charlie Funk"

I put the Mid-America Corvette's custom valved for C4 shocks on my '94 Ragtop and I highly recommend them.
Ed Berns wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------030901010807040009060307 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
No problem at all. Just put the car up on jackstands or do one corner at a time. The top of the shock will have just one nut on the shaft, you might have to get a 1/4in wrench on the shaft to keep it from spinning with the nut. Or vice grips work just fine (at the top end of the shock shaft) But you need to have the wheel off the ground and the tire removed. With the gas shock you won't be able to get it off if the corner isn't off the ground (the suspension on the corner extended). And on the front shocks there is a nut on the lower bolts that is recessed into the lower control arm on the bottom, so put a socket on it or your lower bolts will just spin with you.
It's really a gravy job and a nice afternoon of messing with your Vette. And while your there you can paint the calipers and the rotor hats (centers) if you have wheels that show the brakes. I used to use BBQ paint on them til I used the 2 Part Epoxy (there is a certain brand I researched if, you are interested I'll pull out my receipts and let you know the brand, there is a difference), Red on the Calipers and Process Blue on the rotor hats. You get a couple GOOD brushes to apply, no spraying or brake removal. You can barely see the brakes in this pic.
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/_/r_seyler/quarterview2.jpg
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/r/_/r_seyler/quarterview.jpg
JOEVET wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
RicSeyler wrote:

Got it at Tire Rack, 4/26/04 G2 Caliper Paint Kit. 2 Part Epoxy And it still is flawless. So far so good. :-)
Paul H. wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
RicSeyler wrote:

Thanks ric. It does look easy but I was wondering if I was overlooking something.
<A class=moz-txt-link-freetext href="http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler ">http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler </A> remove SPAM- from email address -------------------------------------- "Homer no function beer well without." - H.J. Simpson </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

It's really not that tough. Mostly take nuts loose, remember where they went, put replacement parts back in the same general orientation as the old part, and reinstall the nuts. The bigger issue is choosing the right beer and having enough on hand. For changing shocks, I like a Pilsner chilled to 38 F in a proper Pilsner glass. For replacing a cam or pulling heads off the toy, a Porter or other heavier beer in a mug works well. :o)
Charlie

Hi all,
Thanks for the recommendations and feedback -- very helpful! I'm going to explore my options in this area (Connecticut) and will post what I find out if anyone is interested. My takeaway from your responses is that I shouldn't necessarily be married to the idea of Bilsteins as you've had good success with the aftermarket shocks.
Best regards, Ed B.

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------010000070800070805040202 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
I'd say if you are going to do some autocrossing stay with the Bilsteins. Probably less prone to shock fading on long track runs. But if your street oriented I like the Mid America custom valved shocks. Not as harsh, but definitely not soft.
Ed Berns wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
Hello all,
My 87 coupe just turned 70K miles and needs new shocks. It has the Z52
(not
Z51) package. It has what I believe are the original Delco-Bilstein
shocks.
Fuguring that there are others who've put new shocks on their C4 this season, I thought I'd troll to see what recommendations are out there.
What
are the good choices and which to stay away from? Any other
considerations??
Thanks in advance for your time and help.
Ed B.
--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
All, You guys are great!! Ed

Hello all, > > My 87 coupe just turned 70K miles and needs new shocks. It has the Z52 (not > Z51) package. It has what I believe are the original Delco-Bilstein shocks. > > Fuguring that there are others who've put new shocks on their C4 this > season, I thought I'd troll to see what recommendations are out there. What > are the good choices and which to stay away from? Any other considerations?? > > Thanks in advance for your time and help. > > Ed B.
There is a dealer in Laurel Montana by the name of Ken Fitchner who participates on the Corvette Forum.
He and his staff give special discounts on parts to Corvette junkies so it might be worth your time to give them a call and see what kind of deal they can work for you
You probably could call information for that area or ask someone over at the CF.
Good luck
Ed-
I have always used Gabriels from Pep Boyz. Last time around I opted for the famed much revered Bilstein's. Save your money. Saw zero difference, except the cost. Now, I'm sure the purists will disagree that when doing a 100' radius curve at 160 mph on a road full of potholes there is an advantage. But the laughable part vof that arguement is that MOST people drive on some side roads thru traffic light controlled intersections, and /or on freeways/tollways, basically a straight line.
But shock choice is smewhat personal preference, and almost a religious decision.
-GeorgeC 92 Red/Red LT-1

Hi GeorgeC,
Well, I had just about decided to go with the Bilsteins -- until I read your post! Now I'm back to (re)considering the lower-priced spreads: KYB and Delco.
But, frankly, this is exactly the type of info I wanted when I posted.
Thanks for taking the time to provide your experience.
Ed B.