C4 Power Increase Suggestions

Gentlemen. I have a 1993 Convt C4 "Black Rose" 6 speed with 15k miles. I love the car and plan to keep it for quite a while. It is totally stock. If I wanted more horsepower, meaner exhaust note and better brakes what would you suggest. I took the car around Road America last year. NO COMPLAINTS. Knowing the brakes would crash I hardly used them. The two or three times I did caused them to begin to fade immediately. The car is for my enjoyment. I'm not looking for anthing radical. Thanks in advance.

Mike. Wisconsin. My seventh Vette.

Reply to
Mike Cenni

The big problem with C4 brakes is that most solutions for better brakes mean faster rotor destruction, so you end up having to replace rotors. They like to praise Dave McLellan for the 150 mph C4 in 1984 and the higher performance of the C4 throughout its life. However, basically, he improved little over a 1963 (or 1965) FI Corvette. Brakes stopped faster, due to being larger, however, they had no life to them in real competition, unlike the C2 and C3 disc brakes. The '63 could already do 160 mph, so the 150 mph '84 was really not quite as good.

Handling was better, with the 1 G rating but that was through some engineering coaxing and the stickiest Goodyears they could get. Similar tires on a '63 would have moved its .74 G right up in the high .9G to maybe even 1G also. There was a lot more flex in the C2/C3 chassis, but that could have been addressed.

Instead, you ended up with a car that had items lightened to the point that in competition, life was shortened. Zora built his for competition. McLellan built his for MPG.

So you have to replace the 93 brakes with something like the '95 ZR1 brakes or the '96 Grand Sport brakes to really improve. Still, life is short. Meaner note is usually done with various exhaust systems, however, some will actually decrease power. Be sure to ask if anyone has dyno tested before and after to see what systems really help. Sounding cooler but going slower isn't what I'm after.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

Exhaust...CORSA......!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Wolfman

Corvette Fever magazine is starting a C4 project akin to their Shark Attack project. There's a dollar ceiling on it so it might be interesting to watch how they handle braking.

-- PJ

Reply to
PJ