C4 Side Effects Exhaust Repair advice needed

Just bought my 94 C4 and it has the custom side effects exhaust. However it is need of some repair. I like the looks of the side pipes and the sound is awesome, so I would like to keep the system, but cant
afford an additional $1700 for a new system right now. I called and talked to the side effects representative and he said that it can be repaired by forming and welding new metal to the pipes. Has anyone ever done this before and if so how were the results and the cost compared to replacing the whole system again? Thanks in advance.