C4 Steering Lock Problem

I can't lock the steering wheel or remove the key. I know there is a link from the shifter (4 + 3 tranny) to the steering column. How do I get at the shifter linkage to check the connection? I have the service
manual but it doesn't address this.
jiggle the shifter
snipped-for-privacy@inxpress.net wrote:

Couldn't find it in the Chevy manual for the '89 version of the 4+3 or the ZF 6-speed either. Haynes has an adjustment procedure on page 7A3 (Item #3). It's written for 1988 and earlier cars with 4+3 manuals. Eight steps long:
"1. Expose the lock cable. It is located the front of the gear shifter under the console. 2. Locate the steering column lock cable at the base of the shifter. There is a bracket which secures the cable to the front floor - the adjusting key is located at this bracket. 3. Lift the adjusting key. This will release the cable. 4. Place the lock lever on the supper steering column to the locked (Park) position (toward the rear of the car). 5. Shift the transmission into reverse. 6. Insert the gage (or a 1/16-inch drill bit) against the reverse stop and pull the reverse lever until the reverse pawl just touches the gage. 7. Push down on the adjusting key to lock the cable in position. 8. Remove the gage and pull on the shifter to insure the pawl hits the stop and locks the shifter in Reverse."
[Note: the second sentence of step 'one' is as printed in Haynes--not real readable but that's the way it is.] .... PJ