C4 targa top headliner replacement

anyone replaced one?? mine was sagging so i pulled it apart.. the fiberglass insulation under it came apart.. corvette america listed the assembly but they cannot get anymore.. corvette america has a replacement one that has a pressboard back on it ($150)..(midamerica has one listed for $250) was woundering if anyone has used either of them or what others have done for custom headliners??

thanks

troy

88 35th anniversary #1580
Reply to
Troy

I brought mine to a local trim shop and had them completely replace it. new everything, including cloth and pressboard back. total cost was $125.00

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

My '89 is black 'mousefuzz' -- feels like it was bonded to a thin layer of polyurethane foam (3/16, maybe 1/4). Is just starting to separate.

I had this happen in a '79 Pontiac. Stripped out the old foam and fabric. Bought foam and new mousefuzz from a local uphostery fabric outlet (UFO in National City) and tried to install it myself. Found it difficult to not stretch the foam and fabric. Had a wrinkled look.

Bought more foam and mousefuzz and took the job to a shop in T.J. Labor plus a "doubleshot" of material was less than $ 40.

-- pj

Reply to
pj

A coincidence you posted this I just fixed mine yesterday, the backing material was okay so I just cut the fabric along the back edge with an 'xacto' knife with a new blade and used contact cement in a spray can you can get at a hobby store. I sprayed it under the fabric well and starting from the front middle I carefully set the fabric back down and worked it to the back and side edges, it stuck fine and smoothed out great, tucked the fabric back along the edges and let it dry -- it looks great and you cannot tell it's been worked on at all.

Since you need to replace the backing I'd glue the fabric to the measured and trimmed replacement board first with a little extra fabric along the edges, then when dry glue the backing to the roof. When that is dry just trim, glue and tuck the fabric edges down along the edges and you're done.

Hope this helps,

Butcher '96 LT-4 CE (with both tops)

Reply to
Butcher

either way, an trim shop should be cheaper then buying a replacement one.

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

On my 84 the backing board was ok. It was some kind of stiff foam board about 1/8 inch thick held up with several Velcro strips. I bought headliner material from Jo Ann fabrics for about $11. It matched what I took out but I wouldn't call it mouse fuzz so maybe some are different. I used a piece of scrap sheet metal and water from a garden hose to scrape off the old glue. I used spray headliner & carpet adhesive from a autoparts store, about $9. I folded the edges over about a inch on the back and glued it down with the spray adhesive. I made some cuts in the folded edge at the corners so get it to lay flat. It only been done a couple weeks so I don't know how long it will last yet. I followed the directions on the adhesive can so it should be ok. John

remove 1 to reply

Reply to
John D