C4 windshield

Got a chip in my windshield. Of course directly in my line of sight. (usually where the birds shit and bugs squash). Its a 1/4 inch bullseye. Anyone here ever try that "as seen on TV" windshield saver?? Is this even
repairable??

Don't know about yours, but I have had two such rock chips repaired. One on my MH and the other on my Tacoma. The MH saved me a lot of $$$$, The Tacoma a lot less but still a couple hundred, at least.
I liked the results and price AND the guy came out to my house!
The process used a suction cup (with small Vacuum pump) to evacuate the cracked area, then through a 3-way valve he injected a solvent to clean out the voids in the shield. After that he sucked it down again and injected the clear epoxy (I think) filler.
Almost completely clear now, I can see some light refraction if I play with light and angle, but it is really really minor.
I don't know about do it yourself kits, but I think that would be easily doable if it had a way to do the suck part. I think that is important to get the air out of the spaces in the crack so as to appear really clear when finished. I would think the method you mentioned is more likely to be just an injector. A method that has to trap air inside and keep the crack noticeable.
Good luck..........
brian
Old & in the way.... wrote:

Thanks brian. I had wondered why some of these fixes looked so good and others were lame. Now I know what questions to ask. I'd done this once and it looked like a plastic scab--definitely not transparent.
As a tip, my insurance company pays full freight for these fixes even though I carry $ 500 deductible. Might be worth checking with your Ins.Co. If the fix isn't acceptable then they pay for the windshield replacement. My last windshield replacement ran $ 485 so no help on the tab from the Ins. Co.
--
PJ
89 HookerCar, 02 E-blu 6-spd Coupe

every state is different butt in FL insurance companies pay 100% for windshields no deductible. You just call a windshield place they come out or you take it there, hand em your ins name they put one in and give you a free box of steaks
kickstart
Kickstart wrote:

You just jogged the ancient part of my memory. That used to be a requirement in California as well -- at least for the drivers half of the windshield. Would be replaced if only mildly pitted--they were concerned about damp nights or rain/mist etc.
never got steaks though.
-- PJ '89 Hookercar '02 e-blu coupe
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------070607060601090302060003 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Yep!! I get calls just about every other week from glass companies here at the shop... "Hi this is so and so glass company, anyone there have a chipped or cracked windshield?" With free Outback coupons, tote bags, free wash and wax, etc.

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler