C5 Air Intakes

I've seen in the Vette catalogs quite a few air intake systems. You know, K&N type filters and low retriction tubes and forced air boxes. What type do you have and did you feel measureable results?

I'm wanting an under $500 system for my '04 ZO6 that requires no cutting, has the filters inside a box getting outside air, and won't suck up a bunch of water in the rain.

Your input is appreciated.

TIA, Ed

Reply to
Spud

They seem to have a wide variety -

Dad

I installed a vararam Air Induction system on my 04 Z06 and a borla x pipe. I can really feel the difference. Im not saying you should get one, just letting you know about my set up and how pleased Ia with it. I plan to install the long tube headers in the near future. Not sure if I should swap the titanium muffler for the borla stingers system.

Reply to
RBG Z06

Is it this one:

Did you install it yourself? Was it very difficult. What about water? Will it suck up water in the rain?

The Borla x-pipe is supposed to change the tone of the exhaust according to Borla. Does it? Isn't there already a crossover on the stock exhaust?

Thanks, Ed

Reply to
Spud

Yes, there is a crossover on the stock pipe and it can be modified to do nearly the same thing. I took mine off and cut it in half, the twisted the 2 pipes enough to cut out the pipes on both sides of the crossover pipe. There were only about 3/4 in holes in both sides if the crossover pipe. Welded the cut and reinstalled the pipe, took about an hour and cost me nothing. Made a very different sound to the Corsa Indy cat backs that I was running. Completely removed the burble from the sound, no more motor boat sound or popping. I say nearly the same thing because I didn't have a dyno before or after so I have no proof of any change in performance.

Reply to
Dad

I had the air induction system and x pipe installed at a local corvette shop. The work as done in one day. I have had my car in the rain twice. I have heard that this system will suck up the water. I didnt noticed any problems with sucking up water. The tone did change some and I am real please with it. I had the car dyno before I did the modifications and I plan to do another dyno after I install the headers. Corvette Fever mag. did a article on the c5 crossover pipe. They cut the center pipe out and showed a 2 inch pipe only with a 1/2 center hole inside the pipe. Doing the mod. dad way or changing the to an x pipe will be a plus to the exhaust system. Just remember dads way didnt cost him anything. My way, it set me back afew hundered bucks. Either way your Z06 will sound and run better. Good luck. Ruben 04 Z06CE

Reply to
RBG Z06