C5 Alignment

My '98 C5 needs an alignment. Can I go anywhere for this or should I take it to the dealer? Will I need to balance the tires as well?

--
Warmest regards,

Stephen Horrillo, Realtor / C.Ht.
Go to a dealer if they've got a good alignment setup. Most do but make sure their rack has been calibrated recently. Otherwise find a good alignment shop that is trusted in your area. Most have never done performance cars.
Don't have your car set to the factory specs or you'll prematurely wear the insides of the front tires if you do a lot of highway driving. Factory specs have too much negative camber for everyday driving.
Go here:
http://www.vettebrakes.com/align.htm
and pick your style of driving and give the specs to the alignment shop. Otherwise, do a search for C5 alignment specs on Corvette Forum to come up with some that suit you.
Balancing the wheels is your call. No vibration = no balancing needed.
Dave WI
Stephen Horrillo wrote:

I'd like to avoid the dealers if I can. So should I as "when was you rack last calibrated? Any other questions I should ask? BTW, what is a reasonable price for an alignment?
--
All the best,

Stephen Horrillo
If you are looking for a great alignment deal, take it to a trusted Firestone store.
They offer a LIFETIME alignment deal for around $120.00. You can have it aligned as many times as you want as long as you own the car and most stores will align it to whatever spec you want and get exact specs if you ask them instead of ranges.
Just find a good store with good staff and this is the best deal all the way around.
Good luck
Hi Steve,

Make sure you get a few quotes first. I didn't and my dealer charged me twice what other shops - even other dealers - charge.
Regards, Tip, '99 C5