C5 Electrical Problems

I've been having problems with my '98 CF. These are the syptoms. This morning I tried to start the car and it would barely start. Later on in the day it wouldn't start so I had to jump start it. While looking at the
battery meter I see the voltage varying as low as 10 volts to as high as 14. It doesn't matter if I rev the engine, the volt guage seems to vary no matter what. I can see the diplay occationally flicker. If I tun the blinker on the speed of the blink occationally varies.
Is this a bad voltage regulator, a bad battery, or will I need a whole new alternator? Can just the voltage regulator be changed or am I going to have to replace the alternator? What could be wrong?
--
Many thanks,

Steve