C5 goes on regular

Yesterday our gas prices jumped 30 cents, overnight. Now $3.56/gal.
Will follow Dad's footprints. C5 got its first fillup with regular. I tossed in a bottle of Techron additive.
Any suggestions on the ratio of Techron to fuel? -- pj
Techron is a fuel system cleaner, not an octane booster. But, you should use the 20oz bottle in the C5.
You'll be better off in the long term to stick with 91 octane gas as mentioned in the owner's manual. While the car will run okay on regular, it will pull timing (and lose power) to compensate. And you will likely have a buildup of carbon deposits. So, if/when you switch back to 91+ and get on it or drive on a hot day, you'll end up with pinging that the computer can nolonger compensate for.

the computer should re-adjust during a couple of tanks of 91 octane. I use middle grade (89 octane) in my c-4 and run some Lucus fuel injecter cleaner http://tinyurl.com/ljvzj through it once a month.
my2
--
'Key
===========

I think is somewhere around 12oz per tank.
more info on Techron http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/techrongas/faq.shtml
http://www.autobarn.net/ch67740t.html
http://www.caltex.com/corp/en/Techron/FAQ.asp
g'day
--
'Key
=====

Just curious what state are you in? Where I am, it was earlier today at $2.56 (Texas) but I don't know if it jumped tonite.
Jerry wrote:

San Diego. Ten days ago we were at 3.06 for premium. It crept up a couple of pennies a day. Wednesday morning we awoke to a 30 cent jump.
Most stations dropped back a nickel, some a dime, yesterday.
C5 owner's manual allows 87 but I've never tried it. I've got a hi-desert run to make Sunday thru Tuesday so will get some education on this.
-- pj

As of this morning $3.05 for premium at a BP here in northwest Indiana, also up about 30 cents from a week ago. I guess I'm willing to pay the $.20 per gallon for the better stuff. Both the Acuras want premium too... :-(
AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)
IF I can not afford to feed the car what it needs to put smiles on my face then I'll have to sell the car....
A car with POWER and the ability to push my back into the backrest when I rest my right foot on the gas pedal at floor level puts smiles on my face NOT a car that saves me 70 cents per tank full of gasoline...
Just my opinion...
Bob G.
Around here 89 is only .03 more than 87, but finding 91 or 93 here, well expect to fork over .15-.25 more a gallon. The V8's will always get at least 89, and will fill up with 91 IF there is only .10 difference. Matter of principle I guess.
CardsFan wrote:

On the way home from work, same station had dropped the price to $2.89/gal for premium. Go figure.
AJM
Whats the price difference between a full tank of Premium vs a full tank of Regular plus a bottle of Techron?

As was pointed out earlier, Techron is a fuel system cleaner, not an octane booster. One would not typically run Techron in every tank. I use it once or twice a year.
Other than that, don't yell at me. I use premium and switch brands every few thousand miles. While I think Big Oil is ripping us off, I like to have the all horsepower under my right foot that the motor was designed to have.
AJM '93 Ruby Coupe, 6 sp (both tops)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That's exactly what I was thinking. And jeez, a 30 cent per gallon rise for 15 gallons is only $4.50- are they saying they can't afford the $4.50?
wrote or did cause to be written:

You might want to check your mileage. I find that even 89 vs, 93 pulls the timing enough to drop the mileage almost 5%. That's 15 cents a gallon.
Dale wrote:

you save another $.15 per gallon.
$3.56 is out and out *ROBBERY*!!!
Wonder how the petro Corps. profits will be at the end of the quarter. The petro Corps. are the individuals who are driving UP the oil prices. When BP was in Cleveland they had two (2) floors in the BP building dedicated to oil trading.
Cleveland, OH w '98 C5. It's never had anything better than 89 ( currently $2.83/gallon ) and runs fine. I'm told by the Dealer that the computer will adjust to most any octane.