C5 nose mask

I have a 99 black C5 with about 18K miles and going on a road trip. Looking at nose mask and they run from $500 for the colgan to about $100. Under than the airflow under the mask - anyone have any wisdom as to what to look for - or to make sure of. As always - I appreciate the input - thanks!!!

Reply to
Hockeyguy

I have a C5 and bought the GM mask from Ecklers for about $100. Also bought the mirror covers. The GM mask has all the fittings you will need and goes on fairly easy. Many of the club members have the same mask and mirror covers and I haven't heard of any problems.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Funny you should mention Ecklers - that is where I am looking at these. They have a number of them around $100 - I guess if you have seen one you have seen them all and they all work...

thx...

Reply to
Hockeyguy

I got the Ecklers GM cover for my 99 Mag Red C5. I had no problems with it until this past April. My wife and I drove from Vegas to Jacksonville FL, up to Sumter SC and back in 6 days. I had the bra on the entire time and when I got home I notice that part of the bra that cover the front of the hood faded the paint. Only the hood, not the front of the car. I've had this car for over a year and had the bra on 50% of the time (rocks are terrible here in Las Vegas...I'm also on my second windshield in one year.) Actually bought it in Fla and drove it back to Vegas. The hood looked fine. I ordered the bra and mirror covers before I bought the car and had them shipped to the seller. When I got back to Vegas the hood looked fine. However something happened on this last trip that cause the hood to fade. I've heard that the magnetic red is a unique color and has a special application process. Has anyone else seen this?

Reply to
JG

Somehow I don't think your paint faded as much as I think it might have been abraded by the Bra. Or are you saying that the hood changed color and under the Bra it is still bright? Nothing unique about the paint, just another color that they can charge more for, red cost more normally especially if you add flake and iridescence.

Reply to
Dad

I have a hunch that, as usual, Dad's got the right idea on this one. My '02 came with a Millennium Yellow warning (even though the car is blue.) The glove box slip seys that UV light causes 'yaller' to fade and it restores by itself when it's garaged. Maybe there's something similar with Mag red.

Try this. Expose the whole car (sans bra) to a few days of full sunlight, without over-temping the interior (donno how you do this in Vegas this time of year.) Then give it a few days of garaging and see if the colors equalize.

Reply to
PJ

I've looked at the finish with a 10X thinking maybe it was an abraded issue but the finish is fine. The area that's discolored is almost the exact area as that part of the bra. I've had the bra off since we got back (early May) and It's been garaged most of the time with it being driven to work once a week and maybe a little on the weekend. Looking back, last year sometime I thought I noticed something about the drivers side mirror after removing the cover for it. I did not put the covers on again (until this last cross country jaunt) and the area on the mirror that was slightly discolored (especially when the car was in the sun light) doesn't seem to be as bad anymore. This gives some credence to what PJ said regarding the millennium yellow. I'll try to capture what I have with a picture and send it to you.

Reply to
JG

Is your bra black? It could be adding to the heat that is trapped on the paints surface. Myself I thing the only time it should be on is when you're moving, then it's questionable at best. My '05 will turn 20,000 this next week and I can see only one slight mark and that would have been outside the questionable protection area of the Bra. Now my windshield is another story with dozens of stone pocks.

Reply to
Dad

Well this sufficiently scares the crap out of me. As I said - I have a black

99 and if there is any chance the paint fades under this thing (which still makes no sence to me that is would) then that bra will never see the front end of that car.

Please educated the dumb guy (me) here - thanks!!!

Reply to
Hockeyguy

Right now I don't know the answer to his problem. He did state in a later post that the paint under the Bra had changed color, not much but enough to see it. Strictly a guess at this point that maybe the color somehow tainted the clear coat from heat build up under the mask and hot sun. I still see the Bra as used when on a long sustained drive and remove it when it's over. It's there to protect your finish when you're moving not when it's sitting still, although it could still be a problem driving in heat and sunlight.

Personally I've never used one, always thought they looked out of place. I have used clear package wrap that just clings to the surface, the thick kind from the shipping department, not Saran wrap. If it rains you have to take that off to keep any grit that gets under it from scratching the finish, but then I never put anything on in the hot sun. Learned that the hard way, covered a new black paint job on a '69 Camaro with visqueen that got caught outside in a quick shower then hot sun while I wasn't there. Did manage to buff it out but what a job.

Reply to
Dad

Ya know - I also thought about the plastic wrap also but ignored it. I agree the thing is only on the vette when on a drive - a long drive as I am making in a couple of week (600 miles one way and then back).,

Thanks for the reply - appreciated...

Reply to
Hockeyguy

Yes...it is black. I was thinking along the same lines regarding the heat. Again it's only the hood. I don't see any discoloration on the nose. I just washed it this evening and will try to capture what with a photo this evening and send it to you.

Reply to
JG