C5 Steering Column lock - How to Unlock

I ran across this tip which saved me a tow..:
Pull the wheel to the right Insert Key then turn key as usual while pulling the wheel to the right
Turns out the column lock starts doing its thing as soon as the key is
inserted (not turned yet) This saves you from breaking your arm while cranking the wheel back and forth.
-Stan

My column lock has already been removed. Will this technique still work?
--
Warmest regards,

Stephen Horrillo, Realtor / C.Ht.
I have a '98 that had the wheel lock problem. Turns out there was a recall for this. Tookl mine to the dealer about 8 months ago and they fixed it: safety issue.

The information above saved me fom having the car towed. I figured I'd share it on here in case anybody gets stuck esp. since when you park you typically head in, so if you did have to get the C5 towed, the towtruck would have to yank it out of the parking space. Not a pretty sight. I saw a car get yanked out like that one time (not enough room for the flatbed to back up straight to the car). The truck was at a 45 degree angle when he started winching this car. Beautiful... My five year old treats his Hotwheels better than that.
-Stan
BTW- Went to dealer next day. It takes a week to get the harness.

It amazes me how some people won't even try to push a car.
--
Warmest regards,

Stephen Horrillo, Realtor / C.Ht.
The GM fix for the 6 speed is no real fix. GM just covering there butts.