C5 Steering Column lock - How to Unlock

I ran across this tip which saved me a tow..:

Pull the wheel to the right Insert Key then turn key as usual while pulling the wheel to the right

Turns out the column lock starts doing its thing as soon as the key is inserted (not turned yet) This saves you from breaking your arm while cranking the wheel back and forth.

-Stan

Reply to
sbright

My column lock has already been removed. Will this technique still work?

Reply to
Stephen Horrillo

The information above saved me fom having the car towed. I figured I'd share it on here in case anybody gets stuck esp. since when you park you typically head in, so if you did have to get the C5 towed, the towtruck would have to yank it out of the parking space. Not a pretty sight. I saw a car get yanked out like that one time (not enough room for the flatbed to back up straight to the car). The truck was at a 45 degree angle when he started winching this car. Beautiful... My five year old treats his Hotwheels better than that.

-Stan

BTW- Went to dealer next day. It takes a week to get the harness.

Reply to
sbright

It amazes me how some people won't even try to push a car.

Reply to
Stephen Horrillo

Reply to
Stephen Rabinowitz