C5 Suspension Squeaks

My 2001 coupe has recently started so badly that I am embarrassed for people to hear it. I took it in for service, and they could only make it a little better. The service manager said he'd have to replace all the bushings to stop the problem as it seemed that they were all squeaking!

What gives? Anyone got any ideas or seen this on other C5's?

Thanks! Pappy

Reply to
Pappy

Hmmm, same problem on my '02. You got me looking. Did get into the book enuf to find that they ain't 'bushings' no-mo. They are now, "suspension insulators." Whoopee! Couldn't find any lube recommendations for the suspension insulators.

C4's got even more squeaks and I tended to just ignore the C5's minor noises. C5's probably a lot noiser than I believe since I usually drive it without my hearing aids.

It's tempting to try something like WD-40 (and maybe the dealer already did that) but we don't know what's in WD-40 and there's a good chance it might soften or rot the bushings (causing more noise). Years ago, we used soapy water on rubber bushings and I think I used it on a set of polymers in my 911. It ought to be safe for the polymer bushing we have now. Next time I'm under there it will be a shot of Ivory, soap not detergent, in plain water. If they rot out in a couple of years, I'll come crying here.

It is very tempting to dissolve a bit of parafin in xylene and inject that into the bushing--xylene evaporates and leaves a film of parafin in there. However, the risk is a lot higher--don't know what xylene does to polymer stuff.

Have a great weekend folks.

-- PJ

Reply to
PJ

We always called WD-40 -- Will Destroy 40 types of rubber before it fixes one. Don't do it. (Actually it was elastamembers, not just rubber.)

Get some Imperial sizing wax, used for resizing brass cartridges.

Reply to
Dad

Thanks for the "soap" story! :-)

The dealer said he "hosed 'em down" with silicon lube.

It's a bit better, but sounds like squeaky bedsprings...

:-)

Pappy

Reply to
Pappy