C5 wiper problems

I have a 2003 c5 whose screw came off the wiper motor. I found the screw and have reseated the arm to the motor and screwed it back tight. Unfortunately something is wrong. The wipers do work now but they will stop in the middle of the windsheild or they will just start without using the on off at all. I know it is something little but for the life of me I can not figure out what I am doing wrong. I looked to see if there was some alignment that need to take place but I can't see anything. Anyone have a clue what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks...............pj

Reply to
vze3sc28

You're right on the timing thing. Un-hook it and run it through a cycle and then shut it down. Make sure it is shut down and not in a pause section of the cycle, then re-connect them and see if that works. If not, repost the results and I'll look it up in the service manual.

Reply to
Dad

Thanks Dad..........

Ok heres what I did. Shut it down all the way. Pushed the pin forward and turned what ever that is so the connection reached properly. Reattached the arm ... tightened the screw. Wipers are in down position on the windshield.

When I turn the wipers on.............position fast works..........intermitint works (sp?) but when I turn them off and wait to hear the end of the cycle which usually positions them flat on the bottom of the windshield..........the stay up at the top of the windshield. Something is backwards.......maybe me??

Thanks..............pj

Reply to
vze3sc28

You will need to re-time the crank arm to the wiper motor. It's a little complicated to explain but I will try my best.

- With the crank arm still attached to the motor; disconnect the crank arm from the wiper transmission.

- You may not have to perform this next step, depending on where the dowel pin is. There is a dowel pin on the crank arm that needs to be engaged in a notch to allow for the proper adjustment. With the crank arm facing up, rotate the arm counterclockwise until the pin engages. It should be very easy to move.

- Next the wiper motor must be in the "inner wiper position" or the delay position. Just turn on the wiper motor on a delay setting until the motor pauses then shut off the key before the motor turns on again and disconnect the motor connector. I usually do this with the motor out as far as the wiring can allow and, of course, with the crank arm facing up.

- Now look under the crank arm, there is a spring loaded lever that engages a tab on the wiper motor bracket when the motor reverses to park the wiper arms. You need to loosen the crank arm retaining screw and rotate the crank arm (without allowing the motor to rotate) to provide a 5mm gap between the lever and tab. I also like to recheck the gap after reconnecting the motor and allowing it to go through one cycle. Once you achieve this, all you need to do is reassemble. Hope this helps.

Les

"vze3sc28" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nni.com:

Reply to
me

Thank you for the information. Unfotunatley I could get the wipers to work but not to stop in the right place. When I turn them off the stop three quarters of the way down the windsheild.

Took my c5 to the dealer today. Is in need of a wiper park part. Never heard of such a thing!! Only $190.00 ...............lets see a screw comes off and now I need a part.

thanks again................pj

Reply to
vze3sc28