C6 and noises from the rear end?

I think this has been answered before but I need some reassurance. Please! My 2005 C6 coupe(automatic) makes alot of grumbling, rumbling, and clunking noises when making slow, sharp turns like in a parking lot. The tech at the dealer where I bought it said it's just the positraction and not to worry and that they all do it. Should I worry about this or just forget it. I don't remember my 87 coupe(stick) ever making these noises. Please help. I bought it new in Feb. 2005 and it has gone about 4000 miles. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Ron Stewart

Yes, there are some different noises from the C6 rear, may be from the extra planetary gear they stuck in there. Not sure what grumbling, rumbling, and clunking sounds like to you versus me so I can't say if yours are more pronounced than mine. I'm at 22,000 and thinking about replacing the fluid with the new Dexron-VI just because all of the 2006 & up have it. I have never thought GM does anything without an overwhelming reason and the rear ends in our

2005s may be the reason.
Dad

My 2006 didnt do it when i was on the factory fluid. Since i changed to Royal Purple synthetic rear end fluid (with posi additive) , it doesnt do it either.

Reply to
dave

Dad, Thanks for your reply. I'm going up to the dealer again next week and have their tech go for a ride around their lot with me and see what he says. If they have a 2005 on the lot I'll drive it to see if it does it also. I need to take another ride in mine and try and give a better description of the noises. You said you were going to try the Dexron-VI in your C6. This is an AT fluid. Don't you have a stick? Also, about 4 months ago the dealer reprogrammed the computer to stop the gas gauge from reporting empty when it wasn't and it has fixed the problem. The tech explained that the new program takes readings less often, thus less chance of an error. They also put a new fuel additive in the tank, supposedly to clean the sensors in the tank. I'll post a report about what happens at the dealer. Maybe I'll just trade it in for a 2007 with paddle shifter.

Reply to
Ron Stewart

Yes, but, the drain plug for the transmission is in the differential and the fill plug is the TFT fitting in the manual transmission. Using my amazing power of deduction I'd say they are one unit. Then I find they list the capacities of the transmissions separate of the differentials and they are of course different for the transmissions but also the differentials. To make things a bit more confusing they list Dexron III in some of the repair manual and Dexron VI in other parts. In 306 pages on the automatic it nevers says what fluid it uses.

But, there we go again, it does list the trouble shooting noises, as bump, chuggle, delayed, double feel, early, end bump, firm, flare, harsh, hunting, initial feel, late, shudder, slipping, soft, surge, and tie up. All of which have a sexual connotation of one sort or another so don't go there. Then they explain the "Noise conditions" and never refer to any of the afore mentioned noises of which none of them fit you discription.

Can they reprogram it to use fuel less often? My bad, let us know how you come out, end bump, firm, flare, harsh, hunting, initial feel, late............................

Dad

05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd
Reply to
Dad

Dad, I went out this afternoon and drove around and around in a circle in the empty parking lot where I used to work. I could feel a vibration or shudder and I heard something like a chatter or clatter. Turning left or right made no difference. I don't like it but if that's the way it is I can accept it. Maybe I'll be enlightened next week at the dealer. By the way, my first Vette was a brand new 56, blue/green with a cream scallop, tan top convertible, twin 4 barrels, and a 3 speed stick. Got 10 miles to the gallon!

Reply to
Ron Stewart

There is a guy, that comes to the Memorial day parade in Marshall Michigan, that bought his Cascade green and Polo white coves Beige interior new and still drives it on short events. He and his wife are nearing their 90's and doing pretty good for having seen that much life. Neat parade, sponsored by the Kalamazoo Corvette club and draws 300 plus Corvettes from 3 states each year.

Like I said before mine does some of the same things but it only shows up doing slow turns. Since I don't drive around parking lots at slow speed it doesn't bother me, and you don't notice it a full throttle and hard braking on the same parking lot. ;-)

Reply to
Dad