C6 diecast ,or Corvette

Page 1 of 2
Has anyone noticed the cheap plastic interior in the C6?
I was trying to open the glove box of my new '08 LS3; when, to my surprise, the cheap plastic toggle broke-off in my hand. It was the
third time, I had ever use the glove box!
Look more closely at the seat back recliners; CHEAP PLASTIC! OK, I would come to expect it on Chevy Malibu; but a $55K corvette.
Mind you the mechanics are great. But, percentage wise, there is more hardware in a die-cast; than a corvette.
*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com *** Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.

Nope, never noticed it and I have used it often in the last 3 years as I have to lock my CCW in there when I go into any place to eat that serves liquor.

Never expected any plastic to be used on a plastic car?
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Given that you're correct, how much more do you pay for similar performance if you buy some other vendor's sports car? I'd rather put my $ in the engine, brakes and suspension than the seatbacks.
Didn't the warranty cover the glove box issue?
AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

should it be every one made. Take some pictures of it and post them so it is more than just your loss and if others have the same issue there is a record of the fault. Following this group as you have you know I've lost a hood check, gas cap, and a hatch release switch, all dime store items and shouldn't happen and nothing visual to post. Niggling items that you replace under warranty and move on.
A major item like the tires that cup on the inside at 8/10,000 miles and have done so on both C5's and this C6, now that gets your attention at $500 + per rear tire. Finding a place that can align the car correctly is another issue, proof comes when they cup anyway. One Delco service center grunt came into the waiting room and ask me when I had rotated the tires the last time. My reply was, never and you need to get the car out in the parking lot so I can take it to a dealer that know the tires are corner dependant. All three of these Corvettes have been driven with non-runflats that have yet to cup, now at the replacement cost of these tires that's an issue, not so much so with a $3 plastic part. Watch them close, they're out of warranty by the time they get so noisy you can't hear yourself think in the car.
Expect the best, handle the rest.........

I always laugh at the die cast steel models they sell of corvettes. Hel-LO! You have the license to make that one out of plastic... -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
Heck, you could listen to ol' "Larry Luger", and paid twice as much to have the radio knobs fall off and other niggles too!
Disappointed wrote:

ScottO wrote:

If you want that super-luxury trim level along with the performance and handling of the C6 you've got to shell out a whole lot more $$.
The trim in my Infiniti G35(awd) had some 'imitation' elements. I'll admit though that, the emblem embroidery on the seat backs was a tad nicer than the embossed patterns on the 'vette seats. OTOH, the 'vette seats are probably more durable than those in the Infiniti.
Aside from the C5 being vastly more fun than the G35, it gets far better gas mileage (city or highway) and the Infiniti was more fussy about octane.
I drove an '07 last month. Trim is improved somewhat over my '02 but this isn't a Jag or Bentley and does not pretend to be. So far, none of the '02 interior has disintegrated.
I admire durability, utility and ruggedness in a car and I didn't buy a Corvette as a status symbol or to make my visual, tactile or olefactory sensors surge with ecstasy. Yeah, it does get admiring glances-- I can live with that. -- pj
Hey, bj
I agree. My 008 LS3 is a head-turner. Great race car design, and mechanics. Love the cross drilled rotors and the suspension upgrades; not to mention the 430 horse under the hood.
But, it's kind of like, they put a blanket with cheap trinkets over a race horse. You see the cheap plastic trinkets; before, you see the race horse.
Still, the best buy in the market for the money. I just think, while the interior is improved; they still have unfinished business.
Disappointed 008
*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com *** Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.

Tell me how much you like those crossed drilled rotors when you get some brake dust built up and a bit of rust in the cooling fins and try to wash the wheels. Did you notice that the fins run backward on one side? I run two sets of wheels and on the ones I run in the winter and rain I didn't get the rust/brake dust cleaned off on the inside of the rims as well as I do the other rim/tires. The rust/dust eats through the clear coat on the rims and starts to corrode.
What suspension upgrade? Parts are interchangeable on the C5. Brakes change, yes, suspension, no. The only real change in the suspension was the mounting of the front spring. Also even though they changed the rim to an inch bigger the tire diameters stayed the same, they didn't even want to change the computer programming if they went to bigger tires.

How do you think that horse would run with a stainless steel blanket?

Would you point out how the interior has been improved, I still can't see where that has been done. In fact I think they made a step or two backward on the dash finish and material, mine is still gassing off at over three years.
Just a quick heads up on the C6 design if you have a 6 speed manual, may have been changed, the newest I've driven is the '07 auto. If you hit something and kill the engine and someone wants to open the doors and get you out because you're unconscious, they won't open. Unless it is in reverse with the ignition off in the '05 the doors are locked and will not open from the outside or the inside. I make all of my passengers aware of the emergency handle on the floor before we move, but that only helps the conscious people inside the car, not EMS. What is the '08 like?

Also my '05, '04, '98, and '92 die cast Corvettes have plastic compartment doors/catches. ;-)
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Oops, it's not carbon fiber, and that should be "you're" not "your".

If you think they have cheap trinkets inside you should see what drives them.

Missed it again, it's not the rotors that don't clean up. You don't really have one, do you?

You had me believing you there for awhile.
Hey, Dad-
I'll meet you, and put my fake corvette LS3 up against your old ass '05 LS2. (Spelled: 'your')
Disappointed plastic trinkets 008
*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com *** Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.

From all this caterwauling about your car, it is safe to presume you would have had no problem or complaint in spending another 10K for it in order to get a gussied-up interior. Or do you just want something for nothing?
AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

you know where I race, be there.
Forgive me.
I thought this was a Corvette Forum; where people came to boast, about America's greatest muscle machine.
Given the historical discussions surrounding 'Dave', this forum sometimes sounds; like a pack of wild dogs on a Darwinist pursuit.
I figured, GM monitors forums like this one, for constructive criticisms. My comments, and suggestion; while sometimes off-color, are only in the best interest, and refinement of an American icon.
*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com *** Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.

your are right, it is a "Corvette Forum"

what comes around usually gets what it deserves !

ya probably figure wrong....

so is Dads comments. note: Dad has probably forgotten more about Vettes then we, you and I, will ever know.....
--
'Key
=====

Disappointed wrote:

I'd hazard that we're monitored by the same folk assigned to monitor /The Corvette Forum/ and the /letters/ columns in the dozen or so marque magazines. Detroit and Bowling Green are neither blind or deaf. Nor do they do a knee jerk for every wild-*ss idea that floats through here.
As far as Dave is concerned, there is a broad spectrum of viewpoints, some kept hidden for good reason. Regarding my Darwinist leanings, "I resemble that remark."
OTOH, you might take pause to consider Dave's real existence. And, of course, nothing here might be as it seems on the surface. 'Dad' might just be a voluptuous packing clerk at JC Whitney in Chicago--kidnapped from a slave's existence in a bible-belt Hooter's. <;-)
Now I'll take my dog and go swap cars for the weekend! -- pj
It's good to hear; they're a still a few gentlemen, and gorgeous women that drive corvettes, and share their enthusiasm!
Personally, I find it a positive influence on American culture. We need to encourage more of America's youth to embrace the Wave.
Encourged 008
*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com *** Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.