C6 front lic plate bracket

I am trying to bolt a removable home made license plate bracket to the heavy sheet metal member that is just behind the nose of my C6 coupe. When I lay in front of the car and look through the grill I can see three holes punched in the bottom side of this formed steel support and I want to be able to use them to bolt my bracket on. BUT I can't seem to find a way to get to the back side so I can thru bolt or nut everything together.

How can I get inside this piece? Hopefully without having to remove the front end of the car. Is it possible to reach in there, or will I have to use some sort of toggle bolt?

brian

Reply to
Old & in the way....

ZÿRiX

I found a C6 last weekend at a local Chevy dealer and it had almost everything that we wanted in a C6. I was ready to make a deal and then noticed the front license bracket that someone has installed. I asked why they did that and upon closer inspection, it appeared to not be on tightly. The salesman said that they would take it off and repaint the front. We said sorry and walked away from it.

I don't run a front license on my C5 and have never been stopped. Some of the club members mount their front license on the inside of the front windshield with suction cups when they travel.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

"Bill" wrote

Inside the windshield? Humm......

Possibly a solution, but I already have the bracket to bolt on. Bought it reasonably on ebay, but then perhaps this inability to easily install through the pre-drilled holes was why he was selling it. If I use grade 5, or even 8, bolts I could probably find a strong enough toggle to make it work. I am going to my local fastener guys today to see what solutions they might have available.

brian

Reply to
Old & in the way....

doesn't matter what anyone says. its always smart to abide by your states requirements. if they require it on the front ? that's where it should be. check your states requirements.

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

Took my front plates to Kinko's and had color copies made. Had those laminated. Where needed, I stick the copy inside the windshield. Safer than placing a metal plate inside the cockpit with no helmet.

-- PJ

Reply to
PJ

Even tho its required I have not placed a front license plate on any of my cars in over 20 years. Never been bother for the lack of it either.

Reply to
benf802961

I have had a 94 and now I own a 05 C6, don't ever plan on running a plate and I live in TX where it is required.....I'll take my chances but I can tell you this I have never been stopped and If I do I'll pay my fine and go on with life....chances are if you don't act like a fool the cops won't bother you.....drive like you should and all will be good with the world! GOD made the corvette to run without a front tag....if would be a shame to defy the LORD!!

Reply to
Caddy

Try this.

Offered a couple of years ago by an old regular, :

Alongside your registration, keep the expired copy of your insurance proof slip in your 'documents folder.' Hide the current copy from view. When stopped, produce your driver's license, registration, and the expired slip. Apologize when the officer notes the expiration date.

Accept the ticket, go to court with the current proof and apologize to everyone one more time. In my state, the missing plate will cost bucks. The expired proof slip is free.

Have a good Mem-day everyone & say a prayer for the guys/gals on the front lines.

I was really impressed by yesterday's show of engine reliability--looks like Honda's got a lock on the business for a few years. At $125K a pop they might even be making a profit!

-- PJ

Reply to
PJ