C6 Glass Cleaning

I have had my 2008 coupe for about a month now. I have found that when I wash, I cannot get the glass to be streak free. I hate to be anal about it and I may be the only one to notice. But I would like to do a better job. I'm using regular Windex and a cotton terry towel after I dry the car with a chamois. Any suggestions.

I appreciate the help. TIA.

Ken

Reply to
ken_pittsjr

I use "Invisible Glass", the trigger kind, not the aerosol. I dry with an old cotton t-shirt then wipe again with a cotton towel. BTW, I hope the C6 has less reflection from the top of the instrument cluster than what I have. I find that one of the most annoying things about this car.

AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Reply to
CardsFan

No problem on the reflection. Looks like I can reach out and touch the housings of the instruments. Glass prevents that.

What I have trouble with is seeing the display from the radio. I have to move my head around to see what XM station (factory equipped radio) I am on or what song is playing.

Thanks for the info.

Ken

Reply to
ken_pittsjr

Hmmm, time for a Dawn 'foodfight.' %-)

-- pj

Reply to
PJ

I had good luck with SPRAYWAY aerosol window cleaner . It is in an old fashioned looking can . Comes out sort of in a foam consistency and doesnt streak or leave residue . Runs $4.00 and is a good sized can.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

Gee since I was a kid, I've used one (1) ounce of CLEAR ammonia in about

16 or so ounces of clean tap water. Dip a clean face cloth sized rag or an old face cloth in the mixture then ring it out as best you can. Wipe the glass & dry with a clean lint free towel - repeat if the glass is REALLY dirty. Does a fantastic job and the price is right.

I will also sometimes use one (1) ounce of white vinegar in about 16 or so ounces of clean tap water. Not quite as good as the clear ammonia but it does work well.

Through the years I tried many commercial products but haven't found one that does a better job than the ammonia.

ken snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
John Smith

I spray vinegar on my windows and no streaks in 5 years so far.

Reply to
db

I use just plain news-paper for cleaning glass......

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

You know I've heard of that 20 or 30 years ago but I tried it once a long time ago and I got some streaks but maybe I didn't wipe it enough. I don't know if this still works with color print in the newspapers now?? Anyway, might be worth a shot to the orig poster. (I'm biased tho to my vinegar )

Reply to
db

I know a good many car detail departments that still use news paper. guess the color print doesn't make any difference. I do use Windex w/out ammonia with the news paper.

Reply to
'Key

'I do use Windex w/out ammonia with the news paper.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

"Dave in Lake Villa" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3232.bay.webtv.net...

must not be a very high risk ! been using news-paper for 39 years and hadn't scratched a glass yet.. at least nothing obvious.

Reply to
'Key

'High risk of scratching the glass using newspaper ; '

must not be a very high risk ! been using news-paper for 39 years and hadn't scratched a glass yet.. at least nothing obvious.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

:>'High risk of scratching the glass using newspaper ; ' :>

:>must not be a very high risk ! :>been using news-paper for 39 years and hadn't scratched a glass yet.. :>at least nothing obvious. :>-- :>'Key :>=====' :>

:>REPLY: Its up to you.

Sounds like a lot of folks will be listening to the professionals.

"Many professional car detailers use plain water for wiping and cleaning the windows, and dry the glass with newspaper. Unlike paper towels and most cotton towels, newspaper does not leave behind lint, and the ink acts as a glass polish. "

Sarah Czepiel

"Dave in Lake Villa" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3237.bay.webtv.net...

yea, there is no need changing something that already proved to work...

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

My Dad introduced me to the newsprint thing when he went off to WWII and I was left as the sole car washer. He too emphasized getting the dirt off the glass before polishing.

Dad claimed that the ink filled in small pockmarks & pits. I've not used it since the '50s but for chuckles will give it a go next weekend.

FWIW, my glass guy claims that glass doesn't scratch as does plastic, paint or metal. It chips, particularly around small pits and pockmarks--making them larger. He suggests getting it as clean as possible and to then rub as slowly as practical. Never apply a buffer to a dirty/dusty window.

-- pj

Reply to
PJ