C6 Headlights

I just received the new CORVETTE Quarterly and it has a good article on the C6 high intensity headlights. I wonder if the C6 headlights dim at a red light if you push the brake or use the window control? The electrical system in my 01 C5 is semi-wimpy and it does not take much to dim the lights.

Reply to
aRKay

Never noticed them dimming at any time, but then I never noticed the C5 dimming either. The '04 and the '98 were driven from dusk till dawn many times going south to my son's house and I never noticed the dimming you speak of. The one thing that I will say is that the '05 lights were what I disliked the most on the C6 until I drove them. Can't tell you how much I like them now, best way is to drive one and see, yes, SEE for the first time everything out there. The dim has a definite horizontal line just above the hood that divides the light to dark and is much easier on your eyes.

It is entirely possible that you have a bad wiring setup that allows them to dim. One of the van conversion I drove for thirteen years on family vacations was bad at dimming. It took about $15 and a couple hours of work in '74 to make them bright and constant. Later when they came out I added the new halogen without a wire upgrade. Remember that in the early '70s GM had hit the high note on building crappy automobiles. If you want to correct the problem, add the relays and wire them to avoid the current drop. Good place to start -

see his kits are up to the $50 range now but once you do it you'll see how simple and easy it can be done. His kits cut out the hassle factor completely. The C5 kit RIK-C5 kit to properly install H4 (export) headlamps on 1997-2004 C5 Corvette: $79

I just drove US36 from Atwood KS, to Decator Il. at night with lots of rain and if you ever needed good lights that is the place. Some of the smoothest sections of roads in Missouri I've ever driven on, but the next county had the worst, fun trip, and an interesting stretch of road.

Reply to
Dad

I have a C6 and they dont dim ; i was just thinking last night as i was driving how they light up the road significant better than any other car ive owned.

Dave

Reply to
dave

Thanks for the feedback. I talked to my dealer about the dimming when the vehicle was still in warranty and they said it was normal for a C5. It got much better when I trashed the Delco AGM battery. No dimming when you are driving and the alternator is doing it thing. I noticed it more when the engine was off or at low idle. The two big current hogs seemed to be the window motors and the brake lights. I have learned to live with it. The cure is a $65K C6 and I am not ready for that action at this time

Reply to
aRKay