C7 Vette

Yawn. Another carrot to get the muppets' money. Thought it would look more like a midyear stingray. Camaro rear end sucks. Quarterpanel windows do not quite make it like those do in the Astin Martin. Pinched rear window. Not quite the same as a split window.

Of course the technical info, of which I am most interested, is buried in there somewhere. I am excited that Chevy finally got to direct injection and variable valve timing. Gotta still find the displacement, HP, and torque specs and price, absent requisit dealer gouging of the loyal Chevy muppets.

Reply to
uncle_vito

The information you think you are looking for has been out for over a month. The new engine has had pictures and spec on the site you show those ugly picture on. For what it's worth the fuel pump is internal to the engine, driven as part of the cam. It develops about 1,200 PSI for the direct injection. An old engine designation was revived and it's called the LT1. Will get less of a miss as it eats Jap cars but it will fart when it devours a Mustang. Most likely will vomit when it see you in your shorts walking your Pekinese.

As a side note GM has had VVT for some time like the 3.6 LV7 DOHC V6 with variable valve timing in 2004, producing 255 hp (190 kW) and 252 lb·ft (342 N·m) of torque. I stuck all the technical stuff in there so you won't have to strain yourself looking it up. As for the Corvette needing it, why, it will eat most everything on the road without it and cheaper while doing so.

Reply to
Dad

...I'm just glad they got the backup lights up off the ground.

Reply to
Rufus

I am actually looking for an engine review from Hib Halverson. Also I do not trust all those "previews". Some are right and some are wrong. So much of the information is just GM marketing bragging. Minimal technical details.

Aside from the looks which I think are not that wonderful (write Stingray in script, not that stupid stingray charm on the side. That script was so cool in the 60s and 70s). Also number of vents are a little excessive. How about making a car that is smooth and sleek. I do believe that performance wise, the car will be impressive.

I try going to GM's website

and cannot even get it to work right. Just more GM marketing crap. Is GM really interested in making a world class car or do they want to dazzle you with flashing lights and gizmos while lifting your wallet.

Reply to
uncle_vito

So you're not really interested in the engine design, just want to suck up to your buddy Hib and knock GM.

Easy to find if you can work with a computer. LT1 6.2L V-8

Displacement (cu in / cc): 376 / 6162

Bore & stroke (in / mm): 4.06 x 3.62 / 103.25 x 92

Block material: cast aluminum

Cylinder head material: cast aluminum

Valvetrain: overhead valve, two valves per cylinder, staggered

Fuel delivery: direct injection

Compression ratio: 11.5:1

Horsepower / kW: 450 / 335 (est.)

Torque (lb-ft / Nm): 450 / 610 (est.)

Reply to
Dad

Thanks, Dad. CorvetteActionCenter.com now has specs and technical photos of engine components. Pretty cool stuff. Photos of the High Pressure fuel rails and the cylinder heads, etc. Like to hear more about how the Rev Matching feature works. Why the dual clutch transmission wouldn't work (too much torque? Not sure I would agree). Cylinder deactivation in a sports car? How does that work out on the track? Can you deactivate it?

Reply to
uncle_vito

Ah yes a dual clutch would be nice but an automatic will kick it's ass.

When was the last time you were on the track? I quit 2004 and our club stopped sponsoring them last year.

Reply to
Dad

Never. Just curious. They have race car drivers taking the new C7 around saying how great it is. With cylinder deactivation working they might be insincere, but what else is new.

I cannot believe anyone would put up with figuring out the feel of a 7 speed pattern. I know you would skip gears or skip 6,7 unless you were really moving but yes, I love the modern automatics.

Reply to
uncle_vito

That's a tough one but I have a 3 speed on the column, and a 3 speed on the floor, a pair of four speeds on the floor, the 6 speed and an automatic on the column and one automatic on the floor. Somehow even at my age I can drive them without killing myself, or driving through the back of the garage. Why would a 7 speed be so difficult to master?

You're a bit lacking in knowing the functions of the Corvette if you think there would be any reason for cylinder deactivation while doing a run on a track. Even the lowly C5 & C6 have multiple modes for racing, plus a few that are a benefit to keeping it on the straight and the curvy. If you have kept up with the Corvette at all you would know that. You might need to quit reading magazines written the unknowing and listing to the English such as Jeremy Clarkson.

Reply to
Dad

">>>>> Cylinder head material: cast aluminum

I figured it out. Hard to the right for 7th and reverse gate. To the left for 1st, 2nd, center for 3rd, 4th and to the right for 5th,6th. Had a brain fart there. I am used to Hurst 4 speeds and 3 on the tree. And you are right, I have not kept up with the Corvette. GM has played also -ran so much that there is not much high tech to look at. I mean they just went to DI and a primitive form of VVT on the Corvette. Ferrari, BMW, Aston Martin and others have been doing that for years. But I know, Corvette only costs $45k. America quit being the best in the world in the

70s and now is the most value in the world (if you do not count the japs.)
Reply to
uncle_vito

If the USA was at its best in the '70s we are in deep shit.

Reply to
Dad