can't get my key out

I have a 93 vet....i guess that my problem is not vette specific. i can shut of my engine with the key but cannot turn the key to the off position and i
can't extract the key unless the key goes all the way to the lock space. i have tried manipulating the steering whell to many different postions but no go. who might i have help me? mechanic..........lock smith..........auto electric shop???? thanx for any help

an auto locksmith should be able to repair your ignition cylinder. sounds like the spring retainer in your IGN may have let go ? if that's not the problem ? the problem could be in your column. ya need to check the ignition cylinder first, to narrow it down...
is the trans in park? could also be slack in the shifter cable.
g'luck
--
'Key
=====

If it's an automatic then it sounds like the shifter cable.
Either way, it's a job for a mechanic. Any decent auto shop should be able to handle it.
in message

I wouldn't say its a job for a mechanic. if its the ignition switch? it more likely is, a locksmith can repair it. a mechanic will replace it. an ignition that's been repaired will probably last longer then a new one. I know that sounds weird but at the factory a machine crimps down the spring retainer. I have seem hundreds come loose in the first 6 months. when its hand crimped down, it is more secure and has a far lees chance of letting go.
my2
--
'Key
=====

merci

what a response... where exactly does that come from ? mine comes from 26+ years in the locksmith industry.
ah, never mind, no real need for another of your trollish remarks... <plonk>
--
'Key

> "'Key" < snipped-for-privacy@Ya.Net> wrote in message
'Key,