catalytic converter

Good point here. It has to be "as built" but there's a loophole that allows a mod if the original parts are no longer made by the factory or available in the aftermarket. This car is nearly 30 years old and may, due to its age, well off the radar.

Originally, Calif. exempted anything over 25 years old. In the early

1990s the regulations switched to include everything back to 1967. That was the point I gave up on trying to skirt the law and switched to the 'vette. It might be a good time to see if there are still factory parts to "restore" it to, "as built" If not, and the aftermarket can't duplicate the whole system then a "best effort" to make the car comply might be in order.

pj

Reply to
PJ

Exemptions are a sad story, Dad. California had been opting out cars that were 25 years old and older, so the year of the exempt vehicle moved up each year. However, they have recently decided to freeze the movement and have chosen the year 1977, so my vehicle will never be exempt from the smog laws and the "has to be in original factory condition" law.

Currently looking for a 1975 or older.

Reply to
BDragon

Boy, I wish that would work. So far, however, I haven't had much trouble finding parts for the car. As I mentioned, I'm thinking of getting a 1975 or older just to avoid this nuisance of not being able to modify the vehicle, even for mileage and performance.

Reply to
BDragon